1. CEA K.V Subramanian to step down after 3 year tenure
- Notably, the outgoing CEA KV Subramanian is a prominent name in the Indian banking sector.
- He has served on the expert committee on governance of banks for The Reserve Bank of India. He has previously served as a member of the Board of Directors at Bandhan Bank and the National Institute of Bank Management
2. Indian Air Force is celebrating its 89th Anniversary today
- The celebration of this day was officially started in the year 1932 to increase the awareness of the Indian air force in any organization of national security both officially and publicly. Since then, Indian Air Force Day is celebrated every year with great enthusiasm and fervor at various Air Stations all over the country on October 8.
3. Tata Sons wins bid for acquiring national carrier Air India
- Tata Group had earlier run Air India before it was nationalised. The Tata Group-Air India relationship went back to 1932 when legendary industrialist Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhoy had launched the national carrier. The airline soon expanded to passenger aircraft and in 1938 it started flying overseas. With Columbo being added to its list of destinations, the name of the airlines was changed to Tata Air Services and later to Tata Airlines.
- The Central government soon took interest in Air India and bought 49 per cent stake in it. With the Air Corporations Act in 1953, the government took over the company from Tata Sons and nationalised it.
4. China orders increase in coal production to tackle power crisis
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
5. US nuclear submarine collides with unknown object in South China Sea
- The South China Sea is a marginal sea of the Western Pacific Ocean. It is bounded in the north by the shores of South China (hence the name), in the west by the Indochinese Peninsula, in the east by the islands of Taiwan and northwestern Philippines, and in the south by Borneo, eastern Sumatra and the Bangka Belitung Islands, encompassing an area of around 3,500,000 km2.
6. India slips 6 ranks on Henley Passport Index 2021
- The International Air Transport Association is a trade association of the world’s airlines founded in 1945. IATA has been described as a cartel since, in addition to setting technical standards for airlines, IATA also organized tariff conferences that served as a forum for price fixing.
- Headquarters: Montreal, Canada
- Founded: 19 April 1945, Havana, Cuba
7. Anshu Malik becomes first Indian woman to win silver medal in World Wrestling Championships
- India’s Sarita Mor, a two-time Asian champion, won a bronze medal in the women’s 59 kilogram category after beating Sweden’s Sara Lindborg 8-2 in the playoff. Previously, only five Indian women had won bronze at the world championships.
8. Neeraj Chopra’s javelin receives highest bid of Rs 1.5 cr in e-auction
- A total of 1348 mementos were put up for e-auction in this third round, which has evoked a huge interest among the public.
- The highlight items of this round of e-auction included the sports memorabilia of the medal winning Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games and the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, models of Ayodhya Ram Mandir, Varanasi’s Rudraksh auditorium and many other precious and interesting collectibles. More than 8600 bids were received for the items.
9. Journalists Maria Ressa, Dmitry Muratov win Nobel Peace Prize
- The prestigious award comes with a Gold medal and 10 million Swedish Kronor. The prize money comes from a bequest left by the price creator, Swedish inventor Alfred Novel, who died in 1895.
10. World Investor Week 2021: October 4th-10th
- IOSCO Headquarters: Madrid, Spain
- IOSCO Secretary General: Paul P. Andrews
- IOSCO Founded: April 1983