1. BPCL launches AI-enabled chatbot Urja
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited is an Indian government-owned oil and gas corporation. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India, headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It operates two large refineries in Kochi and Mumbai.
- Founded: 1952
2. Corsight will set up AI centre of excellence in Assam
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief minister: HimantaBiswaSarma
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
3. India’s highest herbal park inaugurated near Indo-China border in Uttarakhand
- It has been developed in three years under central government’s Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) scheme.
- The herbal park has around 40 species found in high altitude alpine areas in the Indian Himalayan region.
4. Kejriwal inaugurated India’s first-ever smog tower in Delhi today
- Environment minister Gopal Rai said last week that the 20-metre-long structure, which has been set up to improve air quality in a radius of around one kilometre, will function at full capacity after the monsoon season. The tower, built at a cost of ₹20 crore tower, has been funded by the Delhi government.
5. Apurva Chandra assumes charge as secretary in I&B Ministry
- Mr Chandra has spent more than seven years in the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and served on the Board of Directors of Maharatna PSU GAIL (India) Limited and Petronet LNG Limited.
- A Civil Engineer by education, Mr Chandra obtained his Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering and Masters in Structural Engineering from IIT Delhi.
6. Indian Army to buy AK-203 off the shelf from Russia
- It is considered to be the latest and most advanced version of the AK-47 rifle. And this is expected to replace the Indian Small Arms System (INSAS) 5.56×45 mm assault rifle, which according to officers is now having problems at high altitude.
- The AK200 series rifles have retained all the benefits of the original AK classics: reliability, durability and easy maintenance.
- Compared to earlier Kalashnikov rifles, AK203 has better ergonomics, accuracy and density of fire.
7. Navies of India, Philippines conduct maritime partnership exercise
- President: Rodrigo Duterte Trending
- Capital: Manila
- Currencies: Philippine peso, Philippine peso sign
- Launched: 23 September 1992
- Builder: Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata
- Builder: Mykolayiv Shipyard
- Homeport: Visakhapatnam
- Commissioned: 15 Jan 1988
8. Ismail Sabri Yaakob appointed as new Prime Minister of Malaysia
- Capital: Kuala Lumpur
- Currency: Malaysian ringgit
- Prime minister: Ismail Sabri Yaakob
9. Shaili Singh wins long jump silver at World Athletics U20 Championships
- From 17th to 22nd August this year, the championship was hosted in Kenya, a country that prides its self with a vibrant athletics history and a population that loves track and field events.
- Capital: Nairobi
- Currency: Kenyan shilling
- President: Uhuru Kenyatta
10. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and Its Abolition: 23rd August
- The International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition is commemorated on August 23 because of a significant event that took place surrounding this date. Santo Domingo, which is modern day Haiti and the Dominican Republic, was an erstwhile colonial settlement of France in the eighteenth century. The days of August 22 and August 23, 1791 saw the start of the uprising that would play a vital role in the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade led by the European colonial powers. The uprising inspired the Haitian Revolution which was led by the Black and the mixed race people against the colonial rulers.