1. USOF inks pact with BSNL for high-speed internet access to north-eastern states
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited d/b/a BSNL is a government owned telecommunications service provider headquartered in New Delhi, India. It is under the ownership of Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications, Government of India. It was incorporated on 15 September 2000 by the Government of India.
- CEO: Pravin Kumar Purwar
- Universal Service Obligation Fund (USOF) is the pool of funds generated by 5% Universal Service Levy that is charged upon all the telecom fund operators on their Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR). This fund is deposited in the Consolidated Fund of India and is dispatched on the approval of the Indian Parliament.
2. Priyanka Chopra replaces Deepika Padukone as Jio MAMI Film Festival chairperson
- Instead of a film festival that happens over a week, Jio MAMI is now going to pan out from October 2021 to March 2022. From October onwards until January, under the Year Round Programme, apart from ‘Dial M For Films’, it will hold select digital screenings and masterclasses featuring talent from all over the world.
3. Odisha becomes the 1st Indian state to provide Health Cards
- The beneficiaries of the national and State Food Security Schemes, Annapurna and Antodaya beneficiaries will get this card.
- Each family can avail of treatment up to Rs 5 lakh per annum. Women members can avail this benefit up to Rs 10 lakh every year.
- The beneficiaries can avail of health services in more than 200 hospital chains of the country including Odisha.
4. Army organises 400 km “JAZBAA-E- TIRANGA” relay marathon in J&K
- Union territory: 31 October 2019
- LG: Manoj Sinha
5. Delhi slips 5 spots in Prime Global Cities Index Q2
- Knight Frank LLP is an estate agency, residential and commercial property consultancy founded in London by John Knight, Howard Frank and William Rutley in 1896. Knight Frank together with its New York-based affiliate Newmark Knight Frank is one of the world’s largest global property consultancies.
6. Piyush Goyal chairs 5th meeting of BRICS Industry Ministers
- BRICS is the acronym coined to associate five major emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. The BRICS members are known for their significant influence on regional affairs. Since 2009, the governments of the BRICS states have met annually at formal summits.
- Headquarters: BRICS Tower
- Founded: June 2006
7. Algeria decides to review its relations with Morocco
- Capital: Algiers [El Djazaïr]
- Currency: Algerian dinar
- President: Abdelmadjid Tebboune
- Capital: Rabat
- Currency: Moroccan dirham
8. Amway India appoints Mirabai Chanu as brand ambassador for Nutrilite range
- Chanu, a weightlifter, won the silver medal at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in the women’s 49kg category.
- Amway is an American multi-level marketing company that sells health, beauty, and home care products. The company was founded in 1959 by Jay Van Andel and Richard DeVos and is based in Ada, Michigan.
9. ‘Lahore: Book 1 of the Partition Trilogy’ by Manreet Sodhi Someshwar
- Manreet Sodhi Someshwar is a bestselling writer of six books, including the award-winning The Radiance of a Thousand Suns and the critically acclaimed The Long Walk Home. Hailed as ‘a star on the literary horizon’ by Khushwant Singh and garnering endorsements from Gulzar for two of her books, Manreet and her work have featured at literary festivals. Her articles have appeared in The New York Times, the South China Morning Post and several Indian publications.
10. World Photography Day: 19th August
- The French Academy of Sciences officially announced the invention of the daguerreotype in 1839 to the public. On 19 August 1839, the French government is believed to have purchased the patent for the device and made it freely available to the world. Later on, the day began to be marked as World Photography Day.