- Chinese astronauts reach new space station
• The launch comes at a time when Beijing prepares to mark the 100th anniversary of the ruling Communist party on 1st July with a massive propaganda campaign.
• Tiangong, will rival the International Space Station (ISS), a collaboration between the United States, Russia, Europe, Canada and Japan. When the ISS is retired in the next few years, Tiangong will be the largest artificial structure in space.
• Tiangong is to be much smaller than the ISS and is expected to have a lifespan of at least 10 years.
- Amazon launched Machine Learning (ML) Summer School
• Participants of the ML Summer School will be identified through an online assessment. It is open to engineering students in their pre-final/final year of Bachelors, Masters or PhD studies across select tech campuses in 2021.
• Designated CEO: Andy Jassy (5 Jul 2021–)
• CEO: Jeff Bezos (May 1996–5 Jul 2021)
• Founder: Jeff Bezos
• Founded: 5 July 1994, Bellevue, Washington, United States
- Journey of Women Scientists
• WOMEN SCIENTIST SCHOLARSHIP. SCHEME (WOS-C) The scheme aims to train women having qualifications in science/ engineering / medicine or allied areas in the area of intellectual property rights (IPR) and their management for a period of one year.
Ministry of Science and Technology
• Formed: May 1971
• Departments: Department of Biotechnology, Department of Science and Technology
• Officeholders: Harsh Vardhan (Minister), Y. S. Chowdary (Minister of State)
- MHA operationalizes national helpline, reporting platform for preventing cyber fraud
• Since, its soft launch, in a short span of two months, Helpline 155260 has been able to save more than 1.85 crore rupees of defrauded money from reaching the hands of fraudsters, with Delhi and Rajasthan saving 58 lakh rupees and 53 lakh rupees.
• The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre is a government initiative to deal with cybercrime in India, in a coordinated and effective manner. It is affiliated to the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. The scheme was approved in October 2018 with a proposed amount of ₹415.86 crore.
- US, Russia to resume arms control talks
• Capital: Washington, D.C.
• President: Joe Biden
• Currency: United States Dollar
• President: Vladimir Putin Trending
• Capital: Moscow
• Currency: Russian ruble
- Microsoft Names CEO Satya Nadella as Chairman
• CEO: Satya Nadella
• Founded: 4 April 1975, Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
• Headquarters: Redmond, Washington, United States
• Founders: Bill Gates, Paul Allen
- India extends $100 million Line of Credit to Sri Lanka for solar energy projects
• Founded: 1982
• Headquarters: Mumbai
• CEO: David Rasquinha
• Exim Bank has now in place 272 LOCs, covering 62 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), with credit commitments of around USD 26.84 billion, available for financing exports from India.
- IIT Bombay Hosts BRICS Network University Conference
• BRICS Network University is a union of higher education institutions of the five BRICS member countries. It was formed with the objective of enhancing educational cooperation, especially in the field of research and innovation. IIT-Bombay is the lead institution of India for the BRICS Network University.
• BRICS is the acronym coined to associate five major emerging economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa. The BRICS members are known for their significant influence on regional affairs. Since 2009, the governments of the BRICS states have met annually at formal summits. Russia hosted the most recent 12th BRICS summit on 17 November 2020 virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Originally the first four were grouped as “BRIC” (or “the BRICs”) before the induction of South Africa in 2010.
• Headquarters: BRICS Tower, Shanghai, China
- Rafael Nadal pulls out of Wimbledon and Olympics
• The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known simply as Wimbledon or The Championships, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious.
• Founded: 1877
• Headquarters location: London, United Kingdom
Tennis in Olympics
• Tennis was part of the Summer Olympic Games program from the inaugural 1896 Summer Olympics, but was dropped after the 1924 Summer Olympics due to disputes between the International Lawn Tennis Federation and the International Olympic Committee over how to define amateur players. After two appearances as a demonstration sport in 1968 and 1984 (with a U-21 age limit), it returned as a full medal sport at the 1988 Summer Olympics open for all players regardless of their age and status and has been played at every edition of the Games since then.
- Egypt’s first female boxing coach Saba Sakr
• Capital: Cairo
• President: Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi
• Currency: Egyptian pound
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought: 17th June
• The United Nations General Assembly in the early 90s decided on a resolution to observe June 17 as World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought. From this day every year, the United Nations, NGOs, and countries organize events to spread awareness to combat desertification and drought.
• This day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly resolution on January 30, 1995, after the day when United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification is drafted.