1. IIT-Hyderabad develops cheaper COVID-19 testing kit ‘COVIHOME’
- Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad is a public technical and research university located in Sangareddy district, Telangana, India. IITH was founded in 2008, among the eight young Indian Institutes of Technology.
- IIT Hyderabad began functioning on 18 August 2008 from a temporary campus in Ordnance Factory Medak, with Prof. U. B. Desai as the founding director. In July 2015, it moved to its 576-acre permanent campus at Kandi, Sangareddy.
2. OFT hands over heavy machine guns to Navy & Coast Guard
- Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT), also called Ordnance Factory Trichy, is a defence company based in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, functioning under the Ordnance Factory Board of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India. The company is headed only by an IOFS officer called General Manager (ex officio Additional Secretary to Government of India) who is the Chief Executive Officer, responsible for the overall management of the company. OFT is the largest small arms manufacturing company of India and has the most varied range.
- Founded: 1966, Tiruchirappalli
- Headquarters: Kolkata
3. PM Modi inaugurates redeveloped Gandhinagar station
- Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Ltd. is a Special Purpose vehicle. IRSDC is a Joint Venture company of Rail Land Development Authority, RITES and Ircon International Limited. IRSDC was incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956 on 12th April, 2012.
- Headquarters: New Delhi, India
- Founded: 12 April 2012
- Key people: Pradeep Kumar; (Chairman); S. K. Lohia; (CEO &MD)
4. Successful trial of movement of train between Jaynagar in India and Kurtha in Nepal
- Remaining 34 km rail line will be built in two phases.
- The 17-km-long second section will link Kurtha and Bhangaha while the third phase is 17-km-long and will extend from Bhangaha to Bardibas.
- Indian Railways has delivered two modern DEMU trains to Nepal for Jayanagar-Kurtha railway link.
5. Govt formalises registration process of vintage motor vehicles
- Our correspondent reports that all two and four wheelers over 50 years old, maintained in their original form and have not undergone any substantial overhaul, shall be defined as Vintage Motor Vehicles.
- The State Registering Authority shall issue a certificate of registration within 60 days. Vehicles already registered can retain their original Registration Mark. Vintage motor vehicles shall not be driven on roads for regular and commercial purposes.
6. PMAY-U launches a short film contest – Khushiyon Ka Ashiyana
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Mission launched on 25th June 2015 which intends to provide housing for all in urban areas by year 2022. The Mission provides Central Assistance to the implementing agencies through States/Union Territories (UTs) and Central Nodal Agencies (CNAs) for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries against the validated demand for houses for about 1.12 cr. As per PMAY(U) guidelines, the size of a house for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) could be upto 30 sq. mt. carpet area, however States/UTs have the flexibility to enhance the size of houses in consultation and approval of the Ministry.
- Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs: Hardeep Singh Puri
7. LA Polo makes a Documentary on traditional Polo game of Ladakh
- The committee said there is a huge potential of traditional polo especially in Drass Ladakh as there is more than 1000 Horses in Drass and this game will also help in promotion of tourism.
- Representative of LA Polo while talking media said that people in Ladakh are the best lovers and well-wishers of Polo in the world as they don’t play polo for benefit but they play the game to connect themselves to their roots.
- M Amin Polo while thanking the Magzine and its representatives in Ladakh, said that this documentary will help further in thr revival of the Game in whole UT Ladakh.
8. Indian Navy receives first two 24 MH-60R helicopters from US
- MH-60R helicopters manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corporation, USA is an all-weather helicopter designed to support multiple missions with state-of-the-art avionics/ sensors. *24 of these helicopters are being procured under Foreign Military Sales from the US Government*. The helicopters would also be modified with several India Unique Equipment and weapons.
- Lockheed Martin Corporation is an American aerospace, defense, information security, and technology company with worldwide interests. It was formed by the merger of Lockheed Corporation with Martin Marietta in March 1995. It is headquartered in North Bethesda, Maryland, in the Washington, D.C., area.
- CEO: Jim Taiclet
9. Afghan politicians, Taliban meet in Doha as fighting continues
- The Taliban or Taleban, who refer to themselves as the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, is a Deobandi Islamist movement and military organization in Afghanistan, currently waging war within the country. Since 2016, the Taliban’s leader has been Mawlawi Hibatullah Akhundzada.
- Founded: September 1994, Kandahar, Afghanistan
- Founders: Mohammed Omar, Abdul Ghani Baradar
- President: Ashraf Ghani
- Capital: Kabul
- Currency: Afghan afghani
- Official languages: Pashto, Dari
10. World leaders pledge to focus on global vaccination efforts
- The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation is an inter-governmental forum for 21 member economies in the Pacific Rim that promotes free trade throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
- Headquarters: Singapore
- Founder: Bob Hawke
- Founded: November 1989, Canberra, Australia
11. US released online hub to help ransomware victims
- The Department of Justice has also announced a ‘Reward for Justice Program’ for any tipster who would provide tips and hacks to ensure the safety of the government websites. The Biden administration is offering a sum of $10million as a reward will be paid to the informants.
- The U.S. government has launched this website trailing the Colonial Pipeline Co. ransomware attack that caused widespread disruption in the distribution of gas to stations along the East Coast. The company lost several million dollars under the cyber attack.
12. World Day for International Justice: 17th July
- The day is marked by the historic adoption of the Rome statute and the establishment of a new system of criminal justice in the year 1998. The International Criminal Court (ICC) was established for peace and rule of law. But it doesn’t replace the national courts and works when the country can’t carry out certain investigations. The treaty for this court is signed by 139 countries and ratified by representatives of 80 states.