1. DRDO tests Nirbhay missile, indigenous engine a success
- Founded: 1958
- Headquarters: DRDO Bhavan, New Delhi
- Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy
2. Niti Aayog releases handbook for EV charging infra implementation
- The NITI Aayog is a public policy think tank of the Government of India, established with the aim to achieve sustainable development goals with cooperative federalism by fostering the involvement of State Governments of India in the economic policy-making process using a bottom-up approach.
- Formed: 1 January 2015
- Objectives: Foster involvement and participation in the economic policy-making process by the State Governments of India
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Chairperson: Narendra Modi
- CEO: Amitabh Kant
3. Kamlesh Kumar Pant appointed as new NPPA chairman
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) was constituted vide Government of India Resolution dated 29th August, 1997 as an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP), Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers as an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
4. China firmly rejects US approval of Taiwan related bill
- China takes Taiwan as highly sensitive matter. It has been battling an increasing diplomatic pressure over Taiwan in recent times as the self-ruled island increases its diplomatic outreach amid China’s aggressive foreign policy which has put it on a path of clash with the USA and other western countries. Days ago, Lithuania allowed Taiwan to open a representative office in capital Vilnius in the name of “Taiwan” which riled China, after pulling out of China’s 171 initiative to engage with Central and Eastern European countries. Lithuania getting support from US and EU on Taiwan move has rattled China more which is worried about the “domino effect” among other EU nations.
5. China’s latest 5-year (2021-25) plan continues its tough policy towards private businesses
- China, officially the People’s Republic of China, is a country in East Asia and unitary one-party socialist republic led by the Communist Party of China. It is the world’s most populous country, with a population of more than 1.43 billion.
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- Official language: Mandarin
6. Durand Cup returns after Covid-19 break, Kolkata to host 16 teams in September
- The Durand Football Tournament, known as Durand Cup, is an annual domestic football competition in India which was first held in 1888 in Annadale, Shimla. It is hosted by the Durand Football Tournament Society. The tournament is the oldest existing football tournament in Asia.
- Most successful team(s): East Bengal; ATK Mohun Bagan; (16 titles each)
- Organising body: Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS)
7. Home Minister’s medal for Excellence in Investigation-2021 awarded to 152 policemen
- Out of the total 152 awardees, 15 are from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), 11 from the Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra police forces, 10 from Uttar Pradesh, nine from Kerala and Rajasthan, eight from Tamil Nadu, seven from Bihar, and six each from Gujarat, Karnataka, and Delhi. Five awardes police officers are from Telangana, four each from Assam, Haryana, Odisha, and West Bengal while the remaining are from the other states and UTs, as per the statement.
- The list includes 28 women Police officials.
8. Govt announces Prime Minister’s Shram Awards for year 2018
- This year Prime Minister’s Shram Awards are given in three categories. These are – Shram Bhushan Awards which carry a cash prize of one lakh rupees each, Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Awards which carry a cash prize of 60 thousand rupees each and Shram Shree/Shram Devi Awards which carry a cash prize of 40 thousand each.
9. International Youth Day: 12th August
- In the year 1999, in its resolution, the United Nations General Assembly endorsed the recommendation made by the World Conference of Ministers Responsible for Youth that 12 August be declared International Youth Day.
10. World Elephant Day: 12th August
- On 12 August, 2012, the first international Elephant Day was celebrated. Since then, it is observed annually and this day is dedicated to huge animal protection and preservation. Let us tell you that in 2011, World Elephant Day was conceived by the Elephant Reintroduction Foundation and filmmakers Patricia Sims and Michael Clark. It was officially launched on August 12, 2012.