1. ISRO to launch Earth Observation Satellite EOS-03 in Sriharikota tomorrow
- The Indian Space Research Organisation or is the national space agency of India, headquartered in Bengaluru. It operates under Department of Space which is directly overseen by the Prime Minister of India, while Chairman of ISRO acts as executive of DOS as well.
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
2. South Africa grants patent to an AI system known as DABUS
- The patent application listing DABUS as the inventor was filed in patent offices around the world, including the US, Europe, Australia, and South Africa. But only South Africa granted the patent (Australia followed suit a few days later after a court judgment gave the go-ahead).
- Capitals: Cape Town, Pretoria, Bloemfontein
- Currency: South African rand
- President: Cyril Ramaphosa
3. PM Modi to participate in Atmanirbhar Narishakti se Samvad’ tomorrow
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission aims at mobilizing rural poor households into Self Help Groups in a phased manner and provide them long-term support to diversify their livelihoods, improve their incomes and quality of life. Most of Mission’s interventions are being implemented and scaled up by the SHG women themselves who are trained as community resource persons – Krishi Sakhis, Pashu Sakhis, Bank Sakhis, Bima Sakhis, Banking Correspondent Sakhis.
- The Mission is also working on empowering the SHG women through awareness generation and behaviour change communication on issues like domestic violence, women’s education and other gender related concerns like nutrition, sanitation and health.
4. Parliament passes Constitution (127th Amendment) Bill
- The Amendment Bill will amend clauses 1 and 2 of Article 342A and will also introduce a new clause 3. It will also amend Articles 366 (26c) and 338B (9).
- The 127th Constitution Amendment Bill is designed to clarify that the State Governments can maintain the ‘state list’ of OBCs as was the system prior to SC judgment. Articles 366 (26c) define the socially and educationally backward classes.
- The latest ‘State List’ will be taken out completely of the ambit of the President and will be notified by the State Assembly as per the proposed bill.
5. Anurag Thakur to confer National Youth Awards 2017-18 & 2018-19 tomorrow
- The award comprises of a medal, a certificate and a cash prize of one lakh rupees to individual and a cash prize of 3 lakh rupees to organization.
- The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports confers the National Youth Awards on individuals aged between 15 to 29 years and organizations for excellent work and contribution in different fields of development and social service such as health, promotion of human rights, active citizenship, community service etc.
6. Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh inaugurates two-day long 7th IBSA Academic Forum
- India is the incumbent Chair of IBSA. IBSA is a unique Forum which brings together India, Brazil and South Africa, three large democracies and major economies from three different continents facing similar challenges.
- Founded: 6 June 2003, Brasilia, Brazil
7. India ranks 122nd on new Global Youth Development Index
- The index, which draws on multiple data sources, was to be released at the now-postponed Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in 2020. However, with CHOGM being postponed again until 2022, it was decided to release the index this year.
- The Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting is a biennial summit meeting of the de facto leaders from all Commonwealth nations. Despite the name, the head of state may be present in the meeting instead of the head of government, especially among semi-presidential states.
8. India, Saudi Arabia set to carry out first-ever naval exercise
- The exercise is taking place amid rising tension in the Gulf region after a drone attack on a merchant tanker off Oman killed a British national and a Romanian citizen over a week back.
- Capital: Riyadh
- Currency: Saudi riyal
- King: Salman of Saudi Arabia
9. Indian archers break two world records at World Archery Youth Championship
- The World Youth Archery Championships, an international competition in archery, have been held in alternate years since 1991 each time in a different host city. There are events in cadet and junior categories using the recurve and compound bows.
- Following a change of date and location, the 2021 World Archery Youth Championships is taking place in Wroclaw, Poland from 9-15 August.
10. WFI temporarily suspends wrestler Vinesh Phogat
- The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) is the governing body of wrestling in India. It is headquartered in New Delhi, India.
- President: Brijbhushan Sharan Singh
- Secretary: V.N. Prasood
- Wrestling Federation of India was found in 1952.