1. India to launch advanced geo imaging satellite “Gisat-1”
- The Indian Space Research Organisation or is the national space agency of India, headquartered in Bengaluru. It operates under Department of Space which is directly overseen by the Prime Minister of India, while Chairman of ISRO acts as executive of DOS as well.
- Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
- Founded: 15 August 1969
- Director: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
2. IITian-founded exchange is India’s first cryptocurrency unicorn
- Founded in 2018, CoinDCX has onboarded more than 3.5 million users. In the coming months, CoinDCX will be launching the CoinDCX Prime initiative—its latest offering in the high-net-worth individuals (HNI) and enterprise space. It also plans to launch Cosmex, CoinDCX’s global trading product.
3. Project Vijayak of BRO restores road communication between Kargil & remote Zanskar valley
- The Border Roads Organisation is a road construction executive force in India that provides support to and is a part of the Indian Armed Forces. BRO develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- Director General: Lt. Gen. Rajeev Chaudhary
- Founded: 7 May 1960
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Region served: India, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar, Afghanistan
4. Earth Sciences Ministry to implement Deep Ocean Mission
- Deep Ocean mission is an Indian initiative to undertake the deep ocean exploration focused on India’s exclusive economic zones and continental shelf. The program will consist of various manned and unmanned submersibles exploring the sea bed.
- Formed: 2018
- Minister of Earth Sciences: Dr Jitendra Singh
5. Guinea confirms West Africa’s first death due to Marburg virus disease
- The discovery comes just two months after the WHO declared an end to Guinea’s second outbreak of Ebola, which started last year and claimed 12 lives.
- Capital: Conakry
- President: Alpha Condé
- Currency: Guinean franc
6. China recalls Lithuania ambassador over Taiwan office row
- Capital: Vilnius
- Currency: Euro
- President: Gitanas Nausėda
- Capital: Taipei City
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar
- Official language: Mandarin Chinese
7. Anurag Thakur to launch Fit India Freedom Runs 2.0 on 13 Aug
- The programme will be organised in 744 districts and 30 thousand educational institutions across the country. She said, through this initiative, more than seven crore 50 lakh youth and citizens will take part in the run. The programmes will be held each week in 75 districts and at 75 villages in each district till the 2nd of October this year. The key activities of Fit India Freedom Run 2.0 include pledge, rendering of National Anthem, cultural functions at venues, awareness among Youth Volunteers to participate and also organize similar Freedom Runs in their villages.
8. The Earthspinner by Anuradha Roy
- Roy’s earlier works include “An Atlas of Impossible Longing” and “The Folded Earth”.
- She is also the writer of the critically-acclaimed “Sleeping on Jupiter”, which won the DSC Prize for Fiction 2016 and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2015.
9. August 7 to be marked as ‘Javelin Throw Day’ to honour Neeraj Chopra
- The Athletics Federation of India is the apex body in Athletics in India and is responsible for conducting Competitions in the country, formed in 1943. It was earlier called as Amateur Athletic Federation of India. It is associated with both Asian Athletics Association and World Athletics.
- Headquarters location: New Delhi
10. World Lion Day: 10th August
- In 2013, co-founders Dereck and Beverly Joubert the Big Cat Initiative, and National Geographic made a partnership to create World Lion Day. The lion is also known as Panthera leo and is considered the king of the jungle, being the largest species on earth. There has been a decline in 80 percent of the population of lions in the past 100 years.