Current Affairs- 8th September
Government appoints 10 merchant bankers to manage IPO of LIC
- The government has appointed ten merchant bankers including SBI Capital Market Limited, Goldman Sachs (India) Securities, Citigroup Global Markets India and Nomura Financial Advisory and Securities India to manage the Initial Public Offering, IPO of Life Insurance Corporation of India, LIC.
- In a tweet, Secretary, Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) Tuhin Kanta Pandey said that Government has finalised the book running lead managers and some other advisors for the IPO of LIC.
Centre, ADB sign 300 million dollar loan to expand rural connectivity in Maharashtra
- Indian government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on Wednesday signed a 300 million dollar loan as additional financing to scale up improvement of rural connectivity to help boost rural economy in Maharashtra. The additional financing for the ongoing Maharashtra Rural Connectivity Improvement Project will help improve an additional 1,100 rural roads and 230 bridges for a total length of 2,900 kilometers in 34 districts.
- The ongoing project with 200 million dollar financing, approved in August 2019, is already improving and maintaining the condition and safety of 2,100 kilometers of rural roads.
Cabinet approves procurement of 56 transport aircraft for Indian Air Force
- Cabinet has approved the procurement of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft for Indian Air Force. Cabinet Committee on Security on Wednesday approved the procurement from M/s Airbus Defence and Space S.A., Spain for the Indian Air Force. C-295MW aircraft is a transport aircraft of 5 to 10 Tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of IAF. The aircraft has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para dropping of troops and cargo.
- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company. All fifty-six aircraft will be installed with indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite.
Govt approves Production Linked Incentive Scheme for Textiles
- Union Cabinet today approved the Production Linked Incentive Scheme for Textiles. Under it, the incentives worth 10,683 crore rupees will be provided over five years. Briefing reporters in New Delhi, Textiles Minister, Piyush Goyal said, this will positively impact states like Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Odisha. He said, the decision will help in creating additional employment of over 7.5 lakh people directly and several lakhs more for supporting activities.
- The scheme will promote production of high value Man Made Fabric, Garments and Technical Textiles in the country.
Tamil Nadu Assembly passes a resolution against CAA, NPC, NPR
- Tamil Nadu Assembly passed a resolution against CAA, NPC and NPR on Wednesday. Moving the resolution, Chief Minister Stalin said that the CAA is against the principles of the Indian Constitution. The resolution asked the Union Government to scrap the CAA. The Chief Minister said that the welfare of the Srilankan refugees needs proper recognition and they should be treated as citizens.
- AIADMK abstained from voting and the resolution was adopted through voice vote.
El Salvador: People protest due to technological glitches and value of Bitcoin
- In Central American country of El Salvador, people protested following technological glitches and a plummet in value of Bitcoin.
- The country adopted Bitcoin as legal tender. The price of Bitcoin yesterday crashed to its lowest in nearly a month, falling from 52,000 dollar to under 43,000 dollars at one point. An opposition politician said the fall caused one of Latin America’s poorest countries to lose 3 million dollars.
- The rollout of Bitcoin in El Salvador was far from what President Nayib Bukele would have envisaged when he began his bold experiment.
Cabinet approves MoU between ICAI and Chamber of Auditors of Azerbaijan
- Union Cabinet has approved the signing of Memorandum of Understanding between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and the Chamber of Auditors of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- It will help in establishing the Mutual Cooperation in the areas of Member Management, Professional Ethics, Technical Research, Professional Accountancy Training, Audit Quality Monitoring, Advancement of Accounting Knowledge, Professional and Intellectual Development.
- The Cabinet also cleared the signing of an agreement on the recruitment of Indian citizens to work in the Portuguese Republic between India and Portugal.
Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launches ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign
- Union minister of state for health and family welfare Bharati Pravin Pawar represented India at the World Health Organization- South East Asia Regional Office (WHO-SEARO) through video-conference. She offered intervention on behalf of India at the ministerial roundtable of the WHO Regional Committee, for South-East Asia.
- She highlighted the key measures and strategies planned to achieve universal health care and sustainable development goals and to strengthen health system resilience for the future.
Piyush Goyal appointed as India’s Sherpa for G20 meet
- Trade Minister Piyush Goyal has been appointed as India’s Sherpa for the G20 meet that is expected to be held in Italy at the end of October.
- Goyal’s appointment was announced in a statement released by the Indian foreign ministry on Tuesday. The next G20 Summit is scheduled for 30-31 October 2021 under Italian Presidency. Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to travel to Italy for the summit.
- India will hold the G20 presidency from December 1, 2022, and will convene the G20 leaders’ summit in 2023 for the first time.
Days and Dates
International Literacy Day: 8th Sept.
- International Literacy Day (ILD) is celebrated on September 8 to spread awareness about the importance of literacy for individuals, communities, and societies and the need for intensified efforts towards more literate societies. It is necessary to raise awareness in the world of literary issues that are faced by people and also to endorse campaigns that help in increasing literacy for all people.
- The theme of 55th International Literacy Day is Literacy for a human-centred recovery: Narrowing the digital divide.
Other Important Affairs
- The government has appointed Harsha Bhupendra Bangari as the managing director (MD) of Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank).
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry, and Dairying, Parshottam Rupala, launched the portal for National Livestock Mission (NLM). With the portal, the Government aims to increase the effectiveness and ensure transparency in the implementation of the scheme.
- Amazon India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the industries and mines department of government of Gujarat to help drive e-commerce exports from the state.
- The Central government today informed the Supreme Court that it has taken decision to allow induction of women into National Defence Academy (NDA). The Government said the decision was taken in consultation with Armed Forces. Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati informed the Apex Court of the decision.