Current Affairs- 8th October
CEA K.V Subramanian to step down after 3 year tenure
- Chief Economic Adviser to the Government of India, K V Subramanian has said that he has decided to return back to academia following the completion of his three year fulfilling tenure.
- In a statement, he said, to get an opportunity to serve one’s Nation is an absolute privilege. Mr Subramanian said that he has received tremendous encouragement and support from within the Government and has been fortunate to enjoy warm relationship with senior functionaries. He said Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, has been of great support. He said her feedback has been as committed as her support.
Indian Air Force is celebrating its 89th Anniversary today
- Indian Air Force Chief Air Chief Marshal Vivek Chaudhari has said that the prompt actions in response to developments in eastern Ladakh were testament to IAF’s combat readiness. He said, the IAF must demonstrate to nation that external forces will not be allowed to violate Indian territory.
- The Air Chief Marshal said this while reviewing the ceremonial parade at Hindon Airbase in Ghaziabad on the occasion of 89th Anniversary of Indian Air Force today. He said, the security environment in the region and beyond has been impacted by complex interplay of geopolitical forces.
Tata Sons wins bid for acquiring national carrier Air India
- Tata Sons group has won the bid for acquiring national carrier Air India. Tata Sons made a winning bid of 18,000 crore rupees for Air India. Talace Private Ltd, which is a wholly owned subsidiary Tata Sons has emerged as successful bidder for acquiring Air India beating a Consortium led by Ajay Singh whose bid was 15,100 crore rupees. Both the bidders had quoted above the reserve price of 12,906 crore rupees.
- Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, DIPAM Secretary Tuhin Kanta Pandey while addressing a press conference in New Delhi said that the winning bid comprises of taking over of 15,300 crore rupees debt and paying rest by cash.
China orders increase in coal production to tackle power crisis
- The Chinese government has ordered the coal producing regions to act immediately to expand their annual production capacity as China battles its worst power crunch and coal shortage in years amid all the efforts to tackle the climate crisis. Increased demand for winter heating, slumped coal production, the record high coal prices and regulated power tariffs have caused massive electricity shortages that have prompted power rationing across the country, crippling industrial output and sending normal life to disarray in some parts.
- Coal constitutes around 70% of China’s energy mix, widely used for heating, power generation and steel making.
US nuclear submarine collides with unknown object in South China Sea
- More than a dozen US sailors have been injured after a nuclear submarine hit an unknown object while operating in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region. US officials said,fifteen sailors received minor injuries when the USS Connecticut collided with the object on Saturday. They added that it was unclear what had caused the collision.
- The incident comes as tensions mount over a recent uptick of Chinese incursions into Taiwan’s air defence zone.
- Taking to Twitter, the US Navy’s Pacific Fleet said, the submarine remains in a safe and stable condition.
India slips 6 ranks on Henley Passport Index 2021
- India’s rank has slipped by six places from last year to 90 on the Henley Passport Index, which lists the world’s most travel-friendly passports.
- The Henley Passport Index comes at a time when countries are easing travel rules for international visitors after almost two years since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The index ranks the passports of countries according to the number of destinations their holders can visit without a prior visa. The rankings are based on the analysis of data provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
Anshu Malik becomes first Indian woman to win silver medal in World Wrestling Championships
- Indian grappler Anshu Malik has scripted history as she became the first Indian woman to win a silver medal in the World Wrestling Championships.
- Anshu lost to Olympic medallist Helen Maroulis of the USA 4-1 in the summit clash of women’s 57 kg category at Oslo in Norway yesterday.
- Maroulis won the gold medal after her splendid show. Anshu Malik is a two-time Asian Championship medalist, which includes gold and a Ranking Series silver medalist.
Neeraj Chopra’s javelin receives highest bid of Rs 1.5 cr in e-auction
- Olympic gold medalist Neeraj Chopra’s javelin has received highest bid of 1.5 crore rupees in e-auction of prestigious gifts and mementos presented to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The third round of e-auction was held from 17th of September to 7th of October. The proceeds of the e-auction of prestigious gifts and mementos presented to the Prime Minister go to the Namami Gange Mission. Mr Narendra Modi is the first ever Prime Minister to auction all the gifts he has received for conserving and rejuvenating Ganga river.
Awards and Honours
Journalists Maria Ressa, Dmitry Muratov win Nobel Peace Prize
- The Nobel Peace Prize awarded on Friday to journalists Maria Ressa of Philippines and Dmitry Muratov of Russia for their fight for freedom of expression in their countries.
- The pair were honoured for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace, said the chairwoman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Berit Reiss-Andersen.
- They are representatives of all fearless journalists who stand up for truth in a world in which democracy and freedom of the press face increasingly adverse conditions, she said.
Days and Dates
World Investor Week 2021: October 4th-10th
- The International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) is preparing to launch its fifth annual World Investor Week (WIW) from 4 to 10 October 2021. The World Investor Week (WIW) is an initiative promoted by the IOSCO to raise awareness about the importance of investor education and protection and highlight the various initiatives of securities regulators in these two critical areas.
- The key messages of the IOSCO WIW campaign in 2021 will be based on two themes: 1) sustainable finance and 2) frauds and scams prevention.
Other Important Affairs
- E.R. Sheikh has assumed charge as first Director-General of the Ordnance Directorate (Co-ordination and Services). It is the successor organization of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- Top diplomats from China and the US held talks in Switzerland amid heightened tensions between the two countries over a range of issues. China has said that talks with the US was ‘constructive’ as its top diplomat and in-charge of China’s Foreign Policy Yang Jiechi met with U.S. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on Wednesday in Zurich.
- World Egg Day is celebrated worldwide on the ‘Second Friday of October’ month each year since 1996. This year’s World Egg Day will take place on Friday 8 October and will mark the 25th anniversary of the event. The theme for 2021 World Egg Day is “Eggs for all: Nature’s perfect package”.
- Union Minister of State for Tourism, Ajay Bhatt has flagged off the “Buddhist Circuit Train FAM Tour” from Safdarjung railway station. Ministry of Tourism in association with the Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has organized the Buddhist Circuit Train FAM Tour as part of the Union government’s “Dekho Apna Desh” initiative.