Current Affairs- 7th September
Science and Technology
India’s first building made of bio-bricks at IIT-Hyderabad
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Hyderabad inaugurated India’s first building made of bio-bricks from agro-waste. Calling it a perfect illustration of ‘Wealth from Waste’, IIT-H Director BS Murthy said the institute will submit a proposal to the Ministry of Agriculture to promote its wider adoption by the rural community.
- Researchers at the IIT demonstrated that agricultural waste can be converted into sustainable materials which, in turn, can be used to build eco-friendly, cost-effective structures.
All India Institute of Ayurveda inks MoU with Western Sydney University
- All India Institute of Ayurveda under Ministry of Ayush has signed a Memorandum of Understanding, MoU in coordination with Western Sydney University Australia, in virtual mode to appoint an Academic Chair in Ayurveda.
- The MoU was signed by Professor Tanuja Nesari, Director, All India Institute of Ayurveda and Vice-Chancellor and President, Western Sydney University, Australia, Professor Barney Glover.
- The new Academic Chair will undertake academic and collaborative research activities in Ayurveda.
Union Minister Bhupender Yadav inaugurates Delhi's first functional smog tower
- Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister Bhupender Yadav today dedicated the first functional Smog Tower in India at Anand Vihar, Delhi.
- He expressed hope that the pilot smog tower project will yield fruitful results and supplement the air quality improvement efforts.
- Mr. Yadav asked all stakeholders including the citizens to sincerely and earnestly contribute to achieve cleaner air and healthier lives for all.
- He said, Central Government has launched several initiatives to improve air quality in the entire country in view of the goal set for holistic improvement in air quality in more than 100 cities.
Culture Minister G Kishan Reddy launches program ‘Bujurgon ki Baat-Desh Ke Saath’
- Culture Minister G Kishan Reddy today launched a program Bujurgon ki Baat-Desh Ke Saath in New Delhi.
- The programme aims at enhancing the interaction between the youth and the elder persons who are 95 years and above and have spent around 18 years in India before independence.
- The video of the interaction should preferably be kept below 60 seconds and can be uploaded at www.rashtragaan.in
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Reddy said, India is a nation of the young that is always willing to learn from its elders.
WFP appeals for more humanitarian aid to Ethiopia's Tigray province
- Union Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched ‘AYUSH AAPKE DWAR’ campaign from Mumbai on Friday by distributing medicinal plant saplings to citizens. The National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) distributed medicinal saplings and Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Science (CCRA), Ministry of Ayush distributed Ayurvedic medicines to the public. This was as part of the National campaign which was launched by the AYUSH Ministry today.
- Mr. Sonowal also witnessed a special programme organised by Mumbai Port Trust as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
Taliban announces cabinet for new Afghan caretaker govt.
- According to news Agency AFP Mullah Mohammad Hasan Akhund will lead the new Taliban government and the group co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar will be his deputy.
- The Taliban announced the first members of their new Afghanistan Government after delaying its twice.
- The government formation was twice postponed as the insurgent were reportedly struggling to shape an inclusive administration acceptable to the International community.
IAF chief attends Pacific Air Chiefs Symposium 2021 in Hawaii
- Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria attended a three day-long Pacific Air Chiefs Symposium 2021 that finished in Hawaii of the US, the Defence Ministry stated.
- “The event themed ”Enduring Cooperation towards Regional Stability” was attended by air chiefs from countries in the Indo-Pacific region,” the ministry”s statement mentioned.
- Bhadauria was nominated as the Dean for the symposium which was held at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam in Hawaii, it noted.
Coal India Ltd signs MoU with Dept of Sports for betterment of sports infrastructure
- Coal India Limited has signed an MoU with Department of Sports in New Delhi today for betterment of sports infrastructure in the country.
- Under the MoU, Coal India Limited, under its Corporate Social Responsibility program will contribute 75 crore rupees towards the National Sports Development Fund.
- The fund will be used for construction of three large hostels meant for sports persons.
- These hostels will be constructed at Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Gwalior and Sports Authority of India’s centres at Bhopal and Bengaluru with a combined capacity of 350 sports persons.
Awards and Honors
Author Namita Gokhale receives 7th Yamin Hazarika Woman of Substance Award
- Writer Namita Gokhale has been chosen as the recipient of the seventh Yamin Hazarika Woman of Substance Award. She was conferred upon the honour recently in a virtual ceremony.
- The organisers noted that Gokhale is a critically acclaimed award-winning writer with 20 books, including 11 works of fiction, to her name.
- A co-founder and co-director of the Jaipur Literature Festival, Gokhale also mentors Himalayan Echoes and the Kumaon Festival of Literature and the Arts.
Days and Dates
International Day of Clean Air for blue skies: 7th Sept.
- Clean air, free from dust and smoke, is an essential requirement for human beings and all life on Earth. Unfortunately, industrialization, which began around the mid-19th century, polluted our air and water sources heavily, leading to severe disorders of the lungs and heart and causes millions of premature deaths annually.
- Air pollution also negatively impacts Earth’s delicate ecosystems, biodiversity and climate. September 7 is celebrated annually as the International Day of Clean Air for blue skies to address this very issue. “Healthy Air, Healthy Planet” is the theme for this year’s observance of the International Day of Clean Air for blue skies.
Other Important Affairs
- The central government has selected S.L.Tripathy as the Chairman-cum-Managing Director of United India Insurance Company Limited. He is currently General Manager and Director at The New India Assurance Company Limited.
- Actress Tamannaah Bhatia launched her book ‘Back to the Roots’. She has co-authored the book with celebrity lifestyle coach Luke Coutinho. The book is based on intensive research and mentions India’s ancient secrets of health and wellness.
- To commemorate 75 years of India’s independence, the Government of India is celebrating the ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.’ As a part of the celebration, the Ministry of Food Processing Industries is observing ‘Food Processing Week’ from 6th to 12th September 2021, under which, the Ministry is organizing various programs.
- The Andhra Pradesh government has appointed Rajnish Kumar as its economic advisor. A former SBI chairman, Rajnish Kumar’s tenure in the cabinet rank position is for two years.