Current Affairs- 3rd & 4th July
PM Modi to address COWIN Global Conclave tomorrow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will share his thoughts on CoWIN Global Conclave tomorrow. In a tweet, National Health Authority said, Mr Modi will share special message at the conclave.
- India offers CoWIN as a digital public good to the world to combat COVID-19.
- Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan will inaugurate Co-WIN Global Conclave in the presence of Dr R S Sharma, Chairman of Empowered Group on Technology and Data Management to combat COVID-19.
- The virtual meet will see participation from health and technology experts across the globe. It aims to share India’s experience with regards to Universal COVID-19 vaccination drive through Co-WIN platform.
Education Minister to launch NIPUN Bharat on July 5
- Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank will virtually launch National Initiative for Proficiency in Reading with Understanding and Numeracy – NIPUN Bharat tomorrow. A short video, anthem and Implementation Guidelines on NIPUN Bharat will also be launched during this programme. Senior officers from the School Education Department from all States and UTs, Senior Officials of the Department and Heads of Institutions will also attend the event.
- The vision of NIPUN Bharat Mission is to create an enabling environment to ensure universal acquisition of foundational literacy and numeracy. This is to ensure that every child achieves the desired learning competencies in reading, writing and numeracy by the end of Grade 3, by 2026-27.
ISRO gives nod to parliamentary panel to provide assistance for satellite TV classrooms
- Indian Space Research Organisation, ISRO has given its nod to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education to provide technical assistance for satellite TV classrooms in the country to bridge the learning gap due to COVID-induced lockdown.
- ISRO scientists appeared before the Parliamentary Standing Committee for Education yesterday and made a detailed presentation about the proposed satellite TV classroom for students.
- ISRO scientists emphasized that the organization is ready to provide satellite rights to states to start satellite TV classrooms but asked if the States will be willing to use the technology.
JAKEDA plans to install 5,000 Solar Power Pumps under PM-KUSUM scheme in J&K
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Jammu and Kashmir Energy Development Agency (JAKEDA), is planning to install 5,000 Solar Power Pumps under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Uthan Mahabhiyaan (PM-KUSUM) scheme in J&K in the first phase out of which 2,500 pumps will be installed in the current fiscal.
- Worth to mention, the PM-KUSUM scheme has been launched by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) for the upliftment of farmers in the country.
- Keeping in view the topography and irrigation challenges in Ramban district, the UT level campaign was started from Ramban to provide maximum benefit to farmers of the district from this beneficiary oriented schemes.
Invest India wins most innovative Investment Promotion Agency 2021 award
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal and Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar have congratulated Invest India, which has been awarded the world’s most innovative Investment Promotion Agency 2021 by OCO Global.
- Mr. Goyal said that India continues to make remarkable strides to combat disruptions caused by COVID-19, identifying innovative areas of investment and bringing in sustainable investors. Mr. Javadekar said that this is a proud moment for every Indian.
USA celebrates 245th Independence day
- The United States of America is celebrating its 245th Independence day today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has extended his greetings to US President Joe Biden and the people of US on their 245th Independence Day. In his message, PM Modi said as vibrant democracies, India and the US share values of freedom and liberty. He said India-US strategic partnership has a truly global significance.
- External Affairs Minister, Dr. S Jaishankar has conveyed his warm wishes to the government and people of the USA on their Independence Day today.
India-Ghana conclude second Foreign Office Consultations
- The Second India-Ghana Foreign Office Consultations were held in Ghana’s capital Accra. Both sides undertook a comprehensive review of the entire gamut of bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest.
- Rahul Chhabra, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the Ministry of External Affairs from Indian side and Kwaku Ampratwum Sarpong, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs from the Ghanaian side co-chaired the meeting.
- The co-chairs took stock of exchange of bilateral visits, holding of Joint Commission Meeting, bilateral trade and investment, development partnership, capacity building, defence cooperation, security related issues, among other things.
INS Sarvekshak completes survey assistance of ill-fated MV X-Press Pearl
- Indian Navy’s Hydrographic Survey Ship Sarvekshak successfully completed survey action around the site of ill-fated MV X-Press Pearl today and handed over the survey data to the Sri Lankan authorities. The ship equipped with the state of the art survey equipment including the Side Scan Sonar, was deployed on 25 June at the request of Government of Sri Lanka.
- The survey operations in three search areas around the wreck was progressed in coordination with Sri Lanka Navy and Sri Lanka’s National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency (NARA). The ship undertook a total of 807 miles of Side Scan Sonar survey and identified 54 prominent underwater debris from MV X-Press Pearl and also one additional uncharted wreck.
Mariyappan Thangavelu named India's flag-bearer for Tokyo Paralympics
- Top para high-jumper Mariyappan Thangavelu was named the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent in the Tokyo Paralympics, which begins on August 24.
- Thangavelu, who is defending the T-42 gold he had won in 2016 Rio Paralympics during the August 24 to September 5 showpiece in Tokyo, was picked for the honour by the executive committee of the national body.
- “Mariyappan Thangavelu will be the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent at the Tokyo Paralympics. The decision was taken at the executive committee meeting of the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI),”.
Book and Author
Nathuram Godse: The True Story of Gandhi's Assassin by Dhaval Kulkarni
- A biography of Nathuram Godse, Mahatma Gandhi’s infamous assassin, situates the man and his most defining act in the larger context of modern Indian history and contemporary society and politics.
- “Nathuram Godse: The True Story of Gandhi’s Assassin” by Mumbai-based journalist Dhaval Kulkarni will be published by Pan Macmillan India in 2022.
- The publisher said this investigative account will bring to light hitherto unknown aspects of Godse’s life and times, his ideologies and motivations while revealing the complex factors that led to an assassination that would permanently alter the course of India’s history.
Days and Dates
International Day of Cooperatives: 3rd July
- Today is the International Day of Cooperatives. This year the day is being celebrated under the theme of ‘Rebuild better together’.
- The UN in a statement said that more than one billion cooperative members worldwide continue to prove that no one needs to face a crisis like the pandemic on their own.
- The day is an occasion to spread the word about human-centred business models.
- These are sustained by the cooperative values of self-help and solidarity and the ethical values of social responsibility and concern for community.
Other Important Affairs
- Women and Child Development Ministry has invited comments and suggestions from all stakeholders on the Trafficking in Persons (Prevention, Care and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2021.
- Two new species of jumping spiders have been discovered from the Thane-Kalyan region of Maharashtra. The scientists honoured the sacrifice of one of the hero cops of the 26/11 terror attacks, Tukaram Omble, and named one of the spider species after him. The species is called ‘Icius Tukarami.’
- Residents in parts of British Columbia have been ordered to evacuate as wildfires are raging across the Canadian province following a record heat wave that officials say contributed to hundreds of deaths.
- Indian wrestler Sumit Malik was on Friday banned for two years by the sport’s world governing body UWW after his B sample also returned positive for a prohibited stimulant.
- Pushkar Singh Dhami sworn in as the 11th Chief Minister of Uttarakhand today.