Current Affairs- 31st August
Science and Technology
IIT Roorkee, NDMA develop app that predicts natural disasters
- In a joint venture with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), IIT Roorkee has built an app that can predict natural disasters.
- As per the information shared by Uttarakhand Cabinet Minister Dhan Singh Rawat, the app will alert about the probable natural calamities beforehand.
- “I’ve also formed an expert committee. It’ll intimate us about the amount of rainfall that’ll be received in every area so that we make arrangements beforehand,” he told ANI.
- The minister also informed that the Doppler radar in Mukteshwar has started functioning and will also be set up at Surkanda Devi within 1-1.5 months.
Ayush Ministry develops 5-minute yoga app ‘Y-Break’
- The Ayush Ministry has developed a yoga protocol that can integrate seamlessly with work routine and help professionals de-stress and refocus.
- The five-minute protocol encompassing asanas, pranayama and dhyana will be available through an app, which will be launched by Ayush Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Wednesday.
- The yoga protocol can integrate with work routine seamlessly and effortlessly and help professionals refresh, de-stress and refocus, a ministry official said.
- The protocol has been prepared on the basis of a deep and evaluative research and several studies.
Education Minister to address NCERT's 61st foundation day tomorrow
- Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan will address the 61st Foundation Day of the National Council of Educational Research and Training NCERT tomorrow. Minister of State for Education Subhas Sarkar and Dr Raj Kumar Ranjan Singh along with Additional Secretary School Education and Literacy Santosh Kumar Sarangi and Director NCERT Prof. Sridhar Srivastava and senior official of the Education Ministry and NCERT will also be present on the occasion.
- As a premier national organization, the Council is committed to promoting excellence, equity, inclusiveness and quality, in the arena of school education.
Nine new Judges including three women take oath as Justices in SC
- Nine new Judges including three women today took oath as Justices in Supreme Court of India.
- They are Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka, former Chief Justice of the Karnataka High Court, Justice Vikram Nath, former Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court, Justice Jitendra Kumar Maheshwari, former Chief Justice of the Sikkim High Court, Justice Hima Kohli, former Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court and Justice B. V. Nagarathna, former Judge of the Karnataka High Court.
NPS rules changed: Entry age increased, exit norms revised
- In a huge relief to pension subscribers in National Pension Scheme (NPS), the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) has revised the rules for those joining it after 65 years of age. In a set of new rules, PFRDA has permitted them to allocate up to 50% of the funds in equity, besides easing the exit norms.
- The pension fund has revised the guidelines on entry and exit following an increase in the maximum age for joining the NPS from 65 years to 70 years of age. The entry age for NPS has been revised to 18-70 years from 18-65 years.
India virtually hosts 8th meeting of agriculture experts of BIMSTEC countries
- India hosted the 8th Meeting of Agriculture Experts of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) Countries virtually Today.
- Dr Trilochan Mohapatra, Director General of Indian Council of Agricultural Research chaired the daylong meeting. Ministry of Agriculture in a statement said that experts of Agricultural Ministries from Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand participated in the meeting. During the meeting, Dr Mohapatra highlighted the UN Food System Summit 2021 and the transformations that are happening in the agriculture and food systems globally.
Petroleum Minister to participate in 6th EEF Summit in Vladivostok
- Petroleum Minister Hardeep Singh Puri will lead an official and business delegation to Russia tomorrow to participate in the 6th Eastern Economic Forum EEF Summit in Vladivostok. This will be the first overseas visit of Minister Mr Puri since the assumption of the office as the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will virtually address the Plenary Session of the EEF Summit, in which President of Russia Vladimir Putin will be present. Mr Puri will be present at the EEF Summit during Prime Minister’s address.
INS Tabar takes part in Maiden Maritime Partnership Exercise with Algerian Navy
- As part of her ongoing goodwill visit to Europe and Africa, INS Tabar took part in the Maiden Maritime Partnership Exercise with Algerian Navy.
- The landmark exercise, held off the Algerian coast, saw participation of a frontline Algerian Naval Ship ANS Ezzadjer.
- As part of the exercise, diverse activities including coordinated maneuvering, communication procedures and steam past were undertaken between the Indian and Algerian warships.
India, Maldives to sign pact on Greater Male Connectivity Project
- India and Maldives will sign a contract on the mega Greater Male Connectivity project (GMCP), the largest infrastructure project in the country.
- The project, funded by an Indian grant of $100 m and a Line of Credit of $400 m is also the biggest new development project by India in its neighbourhood in recent years. The project, the largest in the Indian Ocean atoll nation, will begin with the signing of the contract between the Maldives government and Indian infrastructure company AFCONS in Male.
- Called the Greater Male Connectivity Project, it will involve the construction of a 6.74 km long bridge and causeway link connecting the capital Male with the adjoining islands of Villingli, Gulhifalhu and Thilafushi.
- Double delight for India, in Men’s High Jump T42 event this evening at Tokyo Paralympics, Mariyappan Thangavelu has won silver medal while Sharad Kumar clinched bronze. With this, India’s medal tally at the Paralympics touched an unprecedented 10.
- Earlier in the day, Singhraj Adana won bronze medal in the 10-metre Air Pistol SH1 shooting at the Asaka Shooting Range. Indian shooting contingent’s brilliant run continued on Day 7 as shooter Manish Narwal qualified for the medal round in the Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1.
Other Important Affairs
- Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur inaugurated a 2-Day Ladakh Nomadic Festival at Korzok Phu, Changthang region of eastern Ladakh.
- The United Nations Security Council has adopted a resolution that expects the Taliban to allow Afghans and foreigners to safely leave the country. Foreign Secretary Harsh Vardhan Shringla was chairing the 15-member Council’s meeting in New York.
- Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Thakur has expressed grief over the demise of former first class cricketer Vasudev Paranjpe.
- The International Day for People of African Descent is celebrated for the first time on 31 August 2021. The United Nations aims to promote the extraordinary contributions of the African diaspora around the world and to eliminate all forms of discrimination against people of African descent.
- The former State Bank of India (SBI) chairman, Rajnish Kumar has been appointed as an independent director of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) Asia entity on August 30, 2021. He has also been appointed as a member of the Audit Committee and Risk Committee of the company.