Current Affairs- 2nd September
Science and Technology
Google Pay launches digital FD in tie-up with Equitas Small Finance Bank
- Equitas Small Finance Bank (SFB) announced that it will now enable users to open fixed deposits (FDs) on Google Pay. Initially, this functionality will be available for Google Pay users who are accessing the app from Android.
- “Equitas SFB has launched a new initiative, enabling Google Pay users to book fixed deposits (FDs) on Google Pay in under 2 minutes without having to open a bank account,” the bank said in a regulatory filing.
- The bank said the deposits in Equitas are covered by a deposit guarantee upto ₹5 lakh per depositor.
Gujarat to host 12th Defence Expo-2022 in Gandhinagar
- The Gujarat Government will host 12th Defence Expo-2022 in Gandhinagar next year. This was announced by Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani after meeting with Defence Minister Rajnath Singh at Kevadiya on Thursday. According to official sources, the Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between the Department of Defence Production and Gujarat Government in this regard. About 100 countries are expected to participate in this biannual event.
- Gujarat Government and Department of Defence Production have signed MoU for providing support for organizing Defense Expo.
FSSAI grants five star Eat Right Station certification to Chandigarh Railway Station
- Chandigarh Railway Station has been awarded a five star Eat Right Station certification for providing high-quality and nutritious food to passengers. This certification is granted by FSSAI to railway stations that set benchmarks in providing safe and wholesome food to passengers. It is part of the Eat Right India movement of FSSAI to transform the country’s food system to ensure safe, healthy and sustainable food for all Indians.
- This rating indicates exemplary efforts by stations to ensure safe and hygienic food is available to passengers.
Govt. appoints JB Mohapatra as Chairman, Central Board of Direct Taxes
- Senior bureaucrat J B Mohapatra has been appointed the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), the Personnel Ministry said in an order Wednesday.
- Mohapatra, a 1985-batch Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) officer, is currently the member in the board that frames the policy for the Income Tax department.
- He has been holding the additional charge of CBDT chairman since May31, after the extended tenure of incumbent P C Mody had ended.
Finance Minister attends 11th UK-India Economic and Financial Dialogue
- The 11th India-United Kingdom Economic and Financial Dialogue was held virtually on Thursday. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and the UK Treasury Chancellor Rishi Sunak co-chaired the meeting.
- The Indian delegation included Governor of Reserve Bank of India Governor, Chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India, Chairman of International Financial Services Centres Authority, Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs and other representatives from Ministry of Finance, Ministry of External Affairs and Indian High Commission, UK.
India Pavilion in Expo-2020 Dubai to start on October 1
- The India Pavilion in Expo-2020 Dubai starting on 1st of October is set to showcase a resurgent India’s march to becoming a five Trillion dollar economy in the post-COVID world. The Pavilion which is a technology marvel will not only capture the vibrant Indian culture and its past but also the capabilities and opportunities that it presents as a global economic hub to the domestic as well as the foreign investors.
- Large number of prominent government ministers, officials, celebrities are set to visit India Pavilion during the six months of Expo-2020 which will also host number of cultural events.
New Development Bank approves Bangladesh as a new member
- The New Development Bank (NDB) established by the BRICS ((Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries in 2015 has approved Bangladesh as its new member. The NDB Board of Governors initiated the negotiation to expand its membership in 2020. It has now approved the United Arab Emirates, Uruguay and Bangladesh as its first new member countries.
- Minister of Finance of Bangladesh A H M Mustafa Kamal said that Membership of Bangladesh to NDB has paved way for a new partnership at a momentous time of 50th anniversary of its independence.
Hibatullah Akhundzada to be the supreme leader of Afghanistan
- Taliban have announced that Mullah Hibatullah Akhundzada will be their Supreme Leader under whom a Prime Minister or President will run the country, as per a report by Tolo News. Anamullah Samangani, a member of the Taliban’s cultural commission, reportedly said that Akhundzada will also be the leader of the new government.
- Taliban’s political office leader Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai was quoted by pajhwok.com as saying that the Islamic Emirate would declare its new government within the next two days.
Sri Lanka declares food emergency as forex crisis
- Sri Lanka has declared a state of emergency over food shortages as private banks run out of foreign exchange to finance imports.
- With the country suffering a hard-hitting economic crisis, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa said he has ordered emergency regulations to counter the hoarding of sugar, rice and other essential foods.
- The regulations give wide powers to officials to seize food stocks held by traders, arrest people who hoard essential food and for the government to fix controlled prices.
Days and Dates
World Coconut Day: 2nd September
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare celebrated World Coconut Day on Thursday to commemorate the foundation day of the International Coconut Community, an inter-governmental organization of coconut producing countries under the aegis of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, UN-ESCAP.
- India has made great progress in the field of coconut and it is at the fore in production and productivity and ranks third in the world.
- The theme for the 23rd World Coconut Day celebrations this year is Building a safe, inclusive resilient and sustainable coconut community amid COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
Other Important Affairs
- Additional Secretary of School Education Department and Literacy in Ministry of Education Santosh Kumar Sarangi today informed that in recognition of valuable contributions of the teachers and to take National Education Policy-2020 a step forward, the Department has decided to celebrate Shikshak Parv this year too.
- India and the United States held a bilateral 2 plus 2 Inter-Sessional Meeting at the official level yesterday in Washington DC.
- For the first time in the history of Rajya Sabha, the secretary-general position was given to a serving official, Dr Parasaram Pattabhi Kesava Ramacharyulu, till further orders.
- IIT Ropar’s startup company has developed a living plant-based air purifier, “Ubreathe Life” that amplifies the air purification process in indoor spaces.
- The Indian Navy sealed a contract with defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) for the supply of the first indigenously developed Naval Anti Drone System (NADS), the defence ministry said.