Current Affairs- 2nd-3rd October
Mansukh Mandaviya to virtually inaugurate Iconic week tomorrow
- Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister Mansukh Mandaviya will virtually inaugurate the Iconic week tomorrow under which various activities will be organized across the country.
- Department of Pharmaceuticals will celebrate the iconic week from 4th to 10th October with the theme Story Of Pharma @75: Future Opportunities.
- Under Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana will organise Health Check up Camps and free distribution of First Aid kits at 750 Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendras across the country on 10th October.
World's largest Khadi Tricolour unfurled in Ladakh on Gandhi Jayanti
- World’s largest Khadi national flag was installed at Leh in Ladakh on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti yesterday. It was inaugurated by Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur.
- The tricolor, which is 225-feet long and 150-feet wide, weighs around 1,000 kg. The flag has been made by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and was displayed by 57 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army.
- Army Chief General Manoj Mukund Naravane was also present along with other army officials during the inauguration of the flag.
NITI Aayog to felicitate 75 women achievers
- To celebrate the 75th year of independence, NITI Aayog’s flagship initiative, the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) will felicitate 75 women achievers as part of the Amrit Mahotsav celebration. In its fifth year since inception, Women Transforming India Awards WTI 2021 will celebrate the contribution of women entrepreneurs towards Sashakt aur Samarath Bharat – by building self-sufficient businesses and overcoming challenges via unique business solutions.
- The WTI Awards is NITI Aayog’s endeavour to recognise and celebrate stories of exceptional women change-makers from across India.
EC freezes Lok Janshakti Party poll symbol
- The Election Commission has freezed Lok Janshakti Party LJP poll symbol till dispute between Chirag Paswan and Pashupati Paras factions is resolved.
- In its order today, the Commission has barred both factions from using the name of LJP or its symbol bungalow till the dispute between the rival groups is settled by the poll-body.
- It said, both the groups will be allotted different symbols and they may choose from the list of free symbols notified by the poll panel for the purposes of the current bye-elections in two Assembly Constituencies in Bihar.
UNGA President Abdulla Shahid says, he received two doses of Covishield
- President of the 76th session of the UN General Assembly Abdulla Shahid has said he had received two doses of the Covishield vaccine manufactured in India.
- Covishield vaccine, which has been developed by British-Swedish pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, is manufactured in India by Pune-based Serum Institute of India. At his first press conference, Mr Shahid said, he does not know how many countries would say that Covishield is acceptable or not, but a large portion of the countries have got Covishield.
- He was responding to a question on whether any Covid vaccine should be recognized and considered or the ones that have been validated by the World Health Organisation or any other group.
India-Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ to be conducted in Sri Lanka
- The 8th Edition of India – Sri Lanka Joint Military Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ will be conducted in Sri Lanka from 4th to 15th of October this year. An all arms contingent of 120 personnel of the Indian Army will participate in the exercise along with a battalion of the Sri Lankan Army. Defence Ministry said, the aim of the exercise is to promote close relations between Armies of both countries and enhance inter-operability and sharing best practices in counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations.
- The exercise will involve tactical level operations at sub-unit level in an international counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism environment and will go a long way in further strengthening the relationship between both the South Asian Nations.
BNS Somudra Avijan arrives at Visakhapatnam to Commemorate Swarnim Vijay Varsh
- Bangladesh Naval Ship (BNS) Somudra Avijan has arrived Visakhapatnam today on a five-day visit to the Eastern Naval Command (ENC).
- This visit by the Bangladesh Navy is to commemorate Swarnim Vijay Varsh marking the 50th anniversary of 1971 Indo-Pak war, which led to liberation of Bangladesh.
- The officers and crew of BNS Somudra Avijan were accorded a traditional welcome by the representatives of the ENC and the Eastern Fleet, with the navy band in attendance.
- A series of activities are scheduled between the two navies including professional interactions, cross deck visits, visit to INS Vishwakarma and INS Dega.
Gandhi Museum inaugurated at Noakhali in Bangladesh
- On the occasion of the 152 birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, the renovated Gandhi Museum was inaugurated at the historic Gandhi Ashram Trust at Noakhali in Bangladesh.
- The inauguration was done by the Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr A K Abdul Momen, Law Minister Advocate Anisul Huq and High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Vikram Doraiswami.
- The renovation of the Museum housed inside the Gandhi Ashram campus has been supported by India. The guests visited the Gandhi Memorial Museum and appreciated the unique display of memorabilia and artefacts related to Mahatma Gandhi.
Nagaland to host 56th National Cross Country Championship
- Nagaland will be hosting the 56th National Cross Country Championship in January next year. The announcement was made by Associate Vice President of Athletics Federation of India (AFI) Mr. Abu Metha yesterday during an interaction with media persons in Kohima.
- Nagaland will be hosting the 56th National Cross Country Championship on 15th of January 2022. It will be the first ever for the state to host such national athletics events. The state was allotted the event following a bid during the AFI national executive meeting held in Rajasthan recently.
Awards and Honours
Vice President confers Assam Government’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu has conferred Assam Government’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution at a special function in Guwahati today.
- The awardees are Assam branch of Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust, German based Assamese litterateur Dr. Nirod Kumar Barooah and Shillong Chamber Choir at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra.
- Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi and Assma Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma were also present on the occasion.
Days and Dates
International Day of Non-Violence: 2nd October
- The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on October 2, the birth anniversary of India’s Independence movement hero Mahatma Gandhi. The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), in a resolution adopted on June 15, 2007, established the commemoration as an occasion to spread the message of non-violence through education and public awareness.
- The resolution reaffirms the universal relevance of the principle of non-violence and the desire to secure a culture of peace, tolerance, understanding and non-violence.
- “Non-violence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man,” Gandhi had said
Other Important Affairs
- Environment Minister Bhupender Yadav has launched a web portal – indianwetlands.in on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti and heralding the Iconic Week of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav of the Ministry. The portal is a single point access to all information relating to wetlands.
- The 15th Edition of Indo-Nepal Joint Training Exercise, EXERCISE SURYA KIRAN XV culminated at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand after 14 days of rigorous training.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has congratulated the winners of the Healthgiri Awards 21. In a tweet, Mr Modi lauded the India Today group for their regular practice of honouring grassroots level change makers, be it in cleanliness or now healthcare, on 2nd October every year.
- Colonel Mamady Doumbouya was sworn in yesterday as Interim President of coastal West African country of Guinea. Colonel Doumbouya, who led the overthrow of President Alpha Conde on 5th of last month was sworn in by Supreme Court Head Mamadou Sylla for a transition period of unspecified length.