Current Affairs- 27th, 28th & 29th August
Science and Technology
Niti Aayog, Cisco launch next phase of Women Entrepreneurship Platform
- The government’s policy think tank NITI Aayog and US-based multinational firm Cisco launched the next phase of the Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) today.
- The next phase of the WEP, known as WEPNxt, will utilise Cisco’s technology and experience of working with Indian startup ecosystem to enable more businesses owned by women all over India. WEP is a one-of-its-kind, unified portal, which is focused on providing women from different backgrounds with access to resources, support and learning.
Govt to run Know Your Constitution campaign soon
- Union Minister, Anurag Singh Thakur and Minister, G. Kishan Reddy today inaugurated e-Photo exhibition “Making of the Constitution” and Virtual Film Poster Exhibition “Chitranjali@75” today.
- Speaking at the event, Mr. Thakur said that the purpose of the e-photo exhibition is to inform people on the making of the Constitution. The exhibition, a step in the direction of Jan-bhagidari, will not only encourage the youth of the country to learn about the Constitution but also educate them on their rights as well as enlighten them on the spirit of their duties towards the nation.
- He announced that very soon the Government will run a ‘Know Your Constitution’ programme to encourage the youth to partner in the efforts to propagate the founding principles of India’s Constitution.
Indian MoD signed contract for ASW Defence Suites with Mahindra
- Defence Ministry today signed contract with Mahindra Defence Systems Limited for procurement of 14 Integrated Anti-Submarine Warfare Defence Suites at a cost of around one thousand 350 crore rupees in New Delhi.
- The contract with an Indian firm under the Buy and Make (Indian) category of defence procurement is an important boost to country’s Atmanirbhar Bharat mission.
- It will provide a major fillip to indigenous defence industry in technology development and production. The system will enhance anti-submarine warfare capability of Indian Navy
WCD Ministry to celebrate POSHAN Maah across nation throughout next month
- WCD Ministry will celebrate the POSHAN Maah across the nation throughout next month. POSHAN Abhiyaan is government’s flagship programme to improve nutritional outcomes for children, adolescent Girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers. Launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2018, the POSHAN (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) Abhiyaan directs the attention of the country towards the problem of malnutrition and address it in a mission-mode.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan is a People’s Movement by incorporating inclusive participation of public representatives of local bodies, government departments , social organizations and the public and private sector at large
Cuba to recognize, regulate cryptocurrency
- Cuba has said it will recognise – and regulate – cryptocurrencies for payments on the island in a move that could help to circumvent American sanctions.
- A resolution published in the Official Gazette said the central bank will set rules on cryptocurrencies and determine how to license providers of related services within the communist state.
- The announcement comes as the popularity of cryptocurrency has grown in Cuba among some technologically savvy groups, as it has become increasingly difficult to send and use US dollars on the island, in part because of toughened embargo rules imposed under former United States President Donald Trump.
Algeria cuts diplomatic ties with Morocco over ‘hostile actions’
- Algeria is cutting diplomatic relations with Morocco, Foreign Minister Ramdane Lamamra said, accusing its neighbour of “hostile actions”.
- Morocco and Algeria have had strained relations for decades, mainly over the issue of Western Sahara.
- “Algeria has decided to cut diplomatic relations with the Kingdom of Morocco from today,” Lamamra said at a news conference.
- “The Moroccan kingdom has never stopped its hostile actions against Algeria,” he said.
India Pavilion inaugurated at ARMY 2021 forum in Moscow
- ARMY Forum 2021 took off with a bang and a Russian show can never be complete without a strong Indian delegation, export market displays and a high powered opening ceremony.
- The India Pavilion at the International Military Technical Forum – ARMY 2021was inaugurated jointly by Secretary , Department of Defence Production Mr. Raj Kumar and Ambassador of India to Russia Mr. Bala Venkatesh Varma, at Hall C of ARMY Forum 2021 in Patriot Expo Moscow.
- The pavilion has Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Bharat Dynamics Ltd. (BDL), Goa Shipyard Limited, BEML and Ordnance Factory Board.
India elected to Council of Administration at 27th UPU Congress in Abidjan
- India has been elected to the Council of Administration(CA) at 27th Universal Postal Union (UPU) Congress in Abidjan. India with 134 votes got highest votes in CA elections from South Asia and Oceania region. India was also elected with 106 votes out of 156 countries to the Postal Operations Council (POC) at the 27th UPU Congress in Abidjan.
- External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar has said India’s election to the Council of Administration and the Postal Operations Council of Universal Postal Union yesterday is noteworthy.
BRICS adopts 'New Delhi Statement', India stresses on climate equity
- The BRICS Environment Ministers have adopted the New Delhi Statement which is aimed at furthering the spirit of cooperation for continuity, consolidation and consensus in the environment among the BRICS Nations.
- The 7th meeting of the Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) Environment Ministerial was held virtually yesterday. During the meeting, India stressed on the need for taking concrete collective global actions against the global environment and climate challenge. Chairing the meeting, Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister, Bhupender Yadav said, India gives great importance to BRICS and emphasized that BRICS countries can play a very significant role in addressing the contemporary global challenges of climate change
Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur launches FIT India Mobile Application
- To celebrate the second anniversary of Fit India Movement and as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur today launched the Fit India Mobile Application. The Fit India App is available on both Android and iOS platforms and has been developed in such a way that it works even on basic smartphones.
- Launching it in New Delhi, Mr. Thakur said, this mobile application will help monitor fitness and through it an attempt has been made to show that fitness is easy. He urged the people to download the application. The Minister called upon the people to give half an hour everyday for fitness.
G Sathiyan wins Czech International Open crown, third ITTF title in career
- Star Indian paddler Sathiyan Gnanasekaran notched up a dominating 4-0 win over Yevhen Pryshchepa of Ukraine in the summit clash to claim the men’s singles title at the ITTF Czech International Open. The top seeded Indian, ranked 39 in the world, beat Yevhen 11-0, 11-6, 11-6, 14-12 in the final. Earlier, Sathiyan had advanced to the final after his Swedish opponent Truls Moregardh retired hurt midway through the semifinal in Czech Republic’s Olomouc.
- Last week, the 28-year-old had paired up with compatriot Manika Batra to win the mixed doubles title at the WTT Contender in Budapest.
- India’s Bhavina Patel has settled for Silver medal in the table tennis event at Tokyo Paralympics. Bhavina lost to China’s Ying Zhou in the final this morning.
- In Tokyo Paralympics, India’s Nishad Kumar has won silver medal with a best effort of 2.06 meter in Men’s High Jump T47 event.
- In Tokyo Paralympics, Vinod Kumar wins Bronze medal with a best effort of 19.91 meter in Men’s Discus Throw F52 event. Vinod Kumar also broke the Asian Record with the effort. India has won three medals so far.
Awards and Honours
Afghan journalists, interpreters awarded Pulitzer Prize Special Citation for 'courageous' work
- The Pulitzer Prize Board awarded a special citation to journalists of Afghanistan including reporters, drivers, photographers and interpreters yesterday for their courageous work.
- According to a press release, the Pulitzer Prize Board decided to honour the women and men of Afghanistan who have dedicated themselves at great personal risk to create and support journalism that has chronicled decades of life and war.
Books and Authors
Anurag Thakur presented the book titled Reflecting, Recollecting, Reconnecting to the VP
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has suggested that elected representatives should present their report card to the people every year.
- Receiving the first copy of the book Reflecting, Recollecting, Reconnecting from Information and Broadcasting minister Anurag Thakur, Mr Naidu said, the book was a kind of report card to the people. He complimented the Publications Division for bringing out the book in a short time despite the pandemic.
- The book chronicles the Vice President’s fourth year in office. The Vice President said He said it was the duty of those holding public offices and elected representatives to present a report card to the people every year on the responsibilities and duties assigned to them.
Days and Dates
National Sports Day: 29th August
- Today is National Sports Day. The day is celebrated on 29th August every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand.
- On 6th of this month, the Government had announced that India’s highest sporting honour Khel Ratna Award has been named as Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award in the honour of the hockey wizard.
Other Important Affairs
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated a stadium named after Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Neeraj Chopra at Army Sports Institute in Maharashtra’s Pune.
• The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has appointed Ajay Kumar as Executive Director (ED).
• Madhya Pradesh becomes the second state after Karnataka to implement NEP 2020.
• India is hosting the International Climate Summit 2020-21 on September 3, 2021 in physical and virtual mode. Director of CSIR, National Chemical Laboratory, Dr. Ashish Lele has underlined the importance of the conference for the future mitigation strategies of climate change.
• In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Commandant General, Home Gaurds and SDRF, V.K Singh and Principal Government Medical College, Jammu, Dr. Shashi Sudan inaugurated SUKOON, a 24×7 Mental Health Helpline at SDRF Headquarters, Jammu.