Current Affairs- 26th August
Science and Technology
Google launches 'Be Internet Awesome' programme for kids safety in India
- Google on Wednesday launched it’s global ‘Be Internet Awesome’ program for children in India in partnership with Indian comic book publisher Amar Chitra Katha to interweave critical internet safety lessons across eight Indian languages. The tech giant has also launched an enhanced Google Safety Centre in eight Indic languages as part of its efforts to step up the safety of users on the internet.
- Google has significantly increased its resources dedicated to India’s Trust Safety teams, including product policy analysts, security specialists, and user trust experts that support over 10 vernacular Indian languages, enabling its central teams to benefit from the local nuance and inputs.
BPR&D and AICTE launched MANTHAN 2021
- Ministry of Education’s innovation cell, All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), and Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) have jointly launched the MANTHAN 2021 hackathon, a unique national initiative to identify innovative concepts and technology solutions for addressing the security challenges of the 21st century faced by the intelligence agencies.
- MANTHAN 2021 will have two phases. In the first phase, participants would submit their concepts against the problem statements which they wish to solve on the portal. These submitted ideas will be evaluated by group of experts in the field and only the innovative ideas will be selected for the Grand Finale or 2nd round scheduled from 28 November 2021.
India's first Green Hydrogen electrolyser manufacturing unit starts in Bengaluru
- Moving in line with the green hydrogen roadmap that Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced in his Independence Day speech this year, US-based renewable energy company Ohmium International, through its Indian subsidiary, started India’s first green hydrogen electrolyser manufacturing unit at Bengaluru.
- “The company is already in talks with some state-run majors and private players keen on hydrogen projects for supply of electrolysers from our electrolyser gigafactory in Karnataka,” said Pashupathy Gopalan, an Ohmium Investor. This comes at a time when industry majors like Reliance Industries, Adani Group, state-run Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), NTPC and Gail India have evinced interest in becoming part of India’s green hydrogen roadmap.
Mandaviya assumes charge as chairperson of Stop TB Partnership Board
- Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya took over charge as the Chairperson of Stop TB Partnership Board on Thursday. He will hold the responsibility until 2024. He will lead the efforts of the Stop TB Partnership Secretariat, partners, and the TB community towards reaching the UN TB targets by 2022, in the effort to end TB by 2030.
- On the occasion, Mr. Mandaviya said he is looking forward towards working with the Stop TB Partnership Board and Secretariat in leading the efforts to end TB. He reiterated Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s commitment to end TB in the country by 2025.
Rajnath Singh to commission Coast Guard's offshore patrol vessel Vigraha
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will commission indigenously built Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha this Saturday in Chennai. Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha is the seventh in the series of Offshore Patrol Vessels, OPV. The ship will be based in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh and operate on the eastern seaboard under the Operational and Administrative Control of the Commander, Coast Guard Region (East).
- The ship is also designed to carry one twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol. The ship is also capable of carrying pollution response equipment to contain oil spill at sea.
Centre announces Drone Rules-2021
- The Centre has announced Drone Rules-2021 which reduced the Yellow Zone from 45 kilometres to 12 kilometres from the airport perimeter.
- No permission is required for operating a drone in Green Zones and upto 200 feet in the area between eight and twelve kilometres from the airport perimeter.
- As per the rules, the coverage of drones has been increased from 300 to 500 kilograms to include heavy payload-carrying drones and drone taxis.
- The number of permissions has been reduced from twenty-five to five. No security clearance will be required before any registration or licence issuance
Niti Aayog releases NER District SDG Index report
- East Sikkim has topped in terms of meeting sustainable development goals in the Niti Aayog’s North Eastern Region (NER) District SDG Index Report 2021-22 and Nagaland’s Kiphire featured at the bottom, as per the specified parameters.
- It was the release of the first edition of the North Eastern Region (NER) District SDG Index Report and Dashboard 202122 by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (M/DoNER) on Thursday.
- The index measures the performance of the districts of the eight states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their corresponding targets and ranks the districts based on the same
Nirmala Sitharaman chairs 2nd meeting of BRICS FMs, Central Bank Governors
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman virtually chaired the second meeting of BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors under Indian BRICS Chairship in New Delhi on Thursday.
- This meeting was scheduled ahead of the BRICS Leaders’ Summit 2021 to discuss and finalise key outcomes of BRICS finance agenda this year. Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa took part in the meeting.
- She highlighted that BRICS has been playing and will continue to play a crucial role in dealing with crisis such as COVID-19 pandemic.
Four-day Naval Exercise Malabar-2021 begins today
- Indian Navy is participating in the sea phase of Exercise Malabar-2021 along with the US Navy (USN), Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force (JMSDF) and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). The four-day exercise beginning today includes participation of INS Shivalik and INS Kadmatt and P8I patrol aircraft.
- The US Navy will be represented by USS Barry, USNS Rappahannock, USNS Big Horn and P8A patrol aircraft. The Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Force will be represented by J.S. Kaga, Murasame and Shiranui, in addition to a submarine and P1 patrol aircraft. The Royal Australian Navy will be represented by HMAS Warramunga.
'Ain Dubai': UAE announces the world's tallest observation wheel
- Adding to its list of record-breaking structures, Dubai is all set to unveil the tallest and the largest observation wheel in the world.
- Called the Ain Dubai, the landmark stands twice the height of the London Eye. It will take visitors up to 250 m to give them an incredible view of the Dubai skyline.
- According to reports, it will be inaugurated sometime in October this year. Pictures of the structure have already hit social media platforms.
- Ain Dubai is located at Bluewaters Island, where visitors will be able to dine and even attend weddings, birthdays, and engagements among other things. According to reports, the site is equipped to host as many as 19 customisable experiences.
Other Important Affairs
- Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy inaugurated a mega-tourism event “Ladakh: New Start, New Goals” in Leh virtually from Delhi on Thursday. Centre and Union Territory Ladakh are organizing a 3-Day mega-event from 26th to 28th of this month.
- Labour and Employment Minister Bhupendra Yadav on Thursday launched e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers in New Delhi. The portal will maintain a database of workers in the country’s unorganised sector and facilitate better implementation of various Social Security Schemes for their welfare.
- The Reserve Bank of India has permitted authorised card networks to offer card tokenisation services to any token requestor in a bid to make card transactions more safe, secure and convenient for the users. In a notification issued yesterday, RBI said that it has provided the facility to interested card holders only for their mobile phones and tablets.
- Infosys on Tuesday became the fourth Indian company to touch a market valuation of $100 billion. The IT services major has joined the league of TCS, Reliance Industries and HDFC Bank for crossing the $100 billion-mark in terms of market capitalization (m-cap).