Current Affairs-25th October
Science and Technology
Election Commission of India Launches Garuda App
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) introduced the Garuda app for the digital mapping of all polling stations. Data like latitude and longitude of the polling stations have to be added by the Booth Level Officers (BLO) to ensure faster, smarter, transparent and timely completion of election work.
- Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Punjab along with Deputy Commissioner Varinder Kumar Sharma, Commissioner of Police Gurpreet Singh Bhullar talked to the media before holding a poll preparedness review meeting at Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) Ludhiana. Dr S Karuna Raju informed that through this app, BLOs will upload photos and location information of the polling stations from their registered mobile numbers.
China launches satellite ‘Shijian-21’
- China launched the Shijian-21 satellite from Xichang late Saturday with the stated aim of testing space debris mitigation technologies.
- A Long March 3B lifted off from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, southwest China, at 9:27 p.m. Eastern, Oct. 23, sending Shijian-21 into geosynchronous transfer orbit.
- The China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp. (CASC) confirmed launch success within an hour of launch. Chinese state media Xinhua reported that Shijian-21 will “ test and verify space debris mitigation technologies.”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to attend 18th ASEAN-India Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the 18th ASEAN-India Summit to be held virtually on 28th of this month at the invitation of the Sultan of Brunei. The Summit will be attended by Heads of State and Heads of Government of the ASEAN Countries.
- The 18th ASEAN-India Summit will review the status of the ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership and take stock of progress made in key areas including Covid-19 and Health, Trade and Commerce, Connectivity and Education and Culture. Important regional and international developments including post-pandemic economic recovery will also be discussed.
VP calls for promotion and preservation of our rich linguistic and cultural heritage
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday emphasized on the need to preserve the rich cultural and linguistic heritage and urged everyone to make efforts individually and collectively for it. The Vice President made these remarks at the virtual release of the 100th book of the Vanguri Foundation of America.
- The book titled as ‘7va Prapancha Sahiti Sadassu Sabha Vishesha Sanchika’ is based on the 7th World Telugu Literary Summit organised by the Vanguri Foundation of America in collaboration with other Telugu cultural organisations in October last year.
Indian Navy launches Offshore Sailing Regatta
- As part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations, the Indian Navy under the aegis of the Indian Naval Sailing Association (INSA) will be launching an Offshore Sailing Regatta from Kochi to Goa on October 24. A total of six naval sailing vessels, (INSVs) Mhadei, Tarini, Bulbul, Neelkhanth, Kadalpura and Hariyal will be taking part in the event.
- The race is scheduled to begin on October 24 and the vessels will be covering a total distance of 360 nautical miles between the starting point at the Naval base in Kochi to Goa.
Sudan's military dissolves civilian rule; arrests political leaders
- Sudan’s military has dissolved civilian rule, arrested political leaders, and declared a state of emergency. Gen Abdel Fattah Burhan, who had been heading a joint council with civilian leaders, blamed political infighting. Protesters have taken to the streets of the capital, Khartoum, and there are reports of gunfire. Military and civilian leaders have been at odds since long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir was overthrown two years ago and a transitional government was set up.
- Although the country remains in a deep economic crisis, there had been more international support – and a military takeover will put that hugely at risk.
Millions of Afghans to face starvation this winter unless urgent action is taken, warns UN WFP
- Millions of Afghans will face starvation this winter unless urgent action is taken, the UN World Food Programme (WFP) has warned. More than half the population – about 22.8 million people – face acute food insecurity, while 3.2 million children under five could suffer acute malnutrition, the WFP said.
- Afghanistan is now among the world’s worst humanitarian crises, said David Beasley, the executive director of the WFP.
- Afghanistan fell to the Taliban in August after the US pulled out the last of its remaining troops and the militants swept across the country retaking ground.
FIFA Ranking 2021: India ranked 106th
- October 2021 was a busy month in international football, with qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, friendlies, and the final rounds of the UEFA Nations League all on the agenda. A total of 160 fixtures were played, the impact of which can be seen on the FIFA Rankings.
- Though their lead is now under threat, Belgium remain on top despite UEFA Nations League defeats to France (3rd, 1) and Italy (4th, 1). Among the top five, only Les Bleus and Gli Azzurri have improved their positions.
- India has also moved one spot ahead to the 106th position after the Sunil Chhetri-led side won the SAFF Championship. The Blue Tigers had defeated Nepal in the summit clash.
Awards and Honours
Rajnikanth calls on President after receiving Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- Mr. Rajinikanth called on President Ram Nath Kovind at Rashtrapati Bhavan after receiving the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema. The 67th National Film Awards were presented by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu at a special function in New Delhi.
- Rajinikanth is widely regarded as one of the most popular actors in the history of Indian cinema. Born, Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, Rajinikanth began his career as a villain actor in Tamil cinema in the year 1975 and went on to become the unrivaled superstar of Tamil Cinema.
Days and Dates
World Polio Day: 24th October
- World Polio Day is observed on October 24 every year to raise awareness for polio vaccination and eradication of polio. The World Polio Day was established by Rotary International over a decade ago to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk who led the first team to develop a vaccine against poliomyelitis.
- The last stronghold of poliovirus is in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Several critical challenges stand in the way of achieving eradication, including the global pandemic.
- 2021 theme for World Polio Day is “Delivering on a Promise.”
Other Important Affairs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has congratulated Uzbekistan President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on his victory in the election. In a tweet, Mr Modi expressed confidence that the India-Uzbekistan strategic partnership will continue to strengthen in the second term of President Mirziyoyev.
- The United Nations’ World Development Information Day is held on October 24 every year.
- German sportswear brand Adidas has roped in Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone as global ambassador for women sports. She will represent Adidas women globally. She joins the elite list of female brand ambassadors of Adidas in India, including Mirabai Chanu; boxers Lovlina Borgohain, Nikhat Zareen and Simranjeet Kaur; sprinter Hima Das, and squash player Dipika Pallikal.
- “Writing for My Life”, an anthology of author Ruskin Bond has been released. It contains some of the most exemplary stories, essays, poems and memories of Ruskin Bond. This anthology has been released 25 years after the first anthology of Bond titled, “The Best of Ruskin Bond”.