Current Affairs- 24th August
Science and Technology
Govt launches Amrit Mahotsav App Innovation Challenge 2021
- The Government has launched Amrit Mahotsav App Innovation Challenge 2021 for Indian entrepreneurs and start-ups. Minister of State for Electronics and IT, Rajeev Chandrasekhar launched this challenge in New Delhi yesterday. The innovation challenge has been launched in 16 categories including Culture and Heritage, Health, Education, Social Media, Skills, News, Games, Agriculture, Business and Retail, Fintech, and Others.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr Chandrasekhar expressed hope that startups, budding entrepreneurs and youngsters will participate in large number in the challenge.
Govt to launch e-Shram portal
- • Government will launch e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers (NDUW), on 26th of this month.•Unveiling the logo for the E-Shram portal, Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav today said that targeted identification of the unorganized workers was a much needed step.•He said the portal will be the national database of nation builders, the ‘Shram Yogis’, and help take welfare schemes to their doorstep. Mr Yadav said targeted delivery and last mile delivery has been a major focus of the schemes of government and the E-Shram portal is another key step towards that.
1st edition of NERDSD Goal Index Report & Dashboard 2021-22
- First edition of the North Eastern Region District Sustainable Development Goal Index Report and Dashboard 2021-22 will be launched on the 26th of this month by NITI Aayog and Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region.
- This is the first of its kind region-wide district SDG index in the country.
- It is also a milestone in the efforts towards localising the Sustainable Development Goals in the 120 Districts of the eight States of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- The index will facilitate in identifying crucial gaps and inform interventions to fast track progress towards achieving the SDGs.
Govt launches new geospatial planning portal, ‘Yuktdhara’
- The Government has launched a new geospatial planning portal, ‘Yuktdhara’, that will help in facilitating new MGNREGA assets using remote sensing and geographic information system-based data. The portal was launched by Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Giriraj Singh.
- Speaking on the occasion, Minister of State for Atomic Energy and Space Dr Jitendra Singh said, this platform will serve as a repository of assets, Geotags created under various national rural development programmes such as Mahatma Gandhi Employment Guarantee Act, (MGNREGA), Integrated Watershed Management Programme, Per Drop More Crop and Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana along with field photographs.
India, ADB sign 500 million dollar loan to expand Bengaluru Metro Rail Network
- India and the Asian Development Bank have signed a loan agreement of 500 million dollar to expand the metro rail network at Bengaluru in Karnataka. Speaking on the occasion, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs in the Ministry of Finance, Rajat Kumar Mishra yesterday said, the new metro lines will further strengthen safe, affordable and green mobility in Bangaluru.
- The project will construct two new metro lines, along Outer Ring Road and National Highway 44 between Central Silk Board and Kempegowda International Airport with 30 stations.
India emerged as 2nd most sought after manufacturing destination across world
- India has emerged as the second most sought after manufacturing destination across the world. According to Cushman and Wakefield’s 2021 Global Manufacturing Risk Index, India has surpassed the US as the world’s second most desired manufacturing hub.
- The rising focus on India can be attributed to India’s operating conditions and cost competitiveness. It said, reforms to both land and labor laws are critical to India’s success as a global manufacturing location.
NSA Ajit Doval hosts 11th Meeting of BRICS High Representatives for National Security
- National Security Adviser Ajit Doval hosted the 11th Meeting of the BRICS High Representatives Responsible for National Security through video conferencing today.
- India holds the Chairship of BRICS this year which coincides with the 15th anniversary of the BRICS grouping.
- The meeting of the High Representatives took place before the Summit Meeting of Leaders of the BRICS Nations that India will host this year, under the Chairship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The meetings of the High Representatives Responsible for National Security have emerged as an important platform for exchange of views on political and security issues among BRICS countries.
Pakistan gets 2.75 billion from IMF under SDR programme
- Pakistan on Tuesday received $2.75 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) under a Special Drawing Rights (SDR) programme to support low-income countries hit by the coronavirus, its central bank said.
- The funds, part of a $650 billion global programme, will shore up Pakistan’s foreign reserves, under pressure from a rise in the current account deficit and falling remittances from workers based abroad.
- Pakistan has reported more than 1.1 million coronavirus cases and more than 25,000 pandemic-related deaths.
Days and Dates
World Water Week 2021: 23-27 August
- The World Water Week is an annual event organized by Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) since 1991 to address the global water issues and related concerns of international development. The World Water Week 2021 has been organised from 23-27 August, in entirely digital format. The theme for World Water Week 2021 is ‘Building Resilience Faster’.
- Thirty years after it was initiated, the World Water Week 2021 has been redesigned for maximum impact. The world’s leading water conference is held 23-27 August as a free, online event on the theme Building Resilience Faster. Participants from over 150 countries will co-create actionable solutions.
Other Important Affairs
- After successfully hosting the Summer Olympic Games, the Japanese capital is set to host the Summer Paralympic Games. The global sporting spectacle will begin with a glittering opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo today. The main concept for the opening ceremony is “We Have Wings”.
- The prolonged closure of educational institutions during the COVID 19 pandemic has affected over 40 million students from the pre-primary to the higher education level in Bangladesh.
- Television monitoring agency Broadcast Audience Research Council (Barc) has announced the appointment of Nakul Chopra as its chief executive officer (CEO) effective 25 August 2021.
- Two Indian Navy warships reached Guam on Sunday to participate in the Malabar Naval Exercise, in which all four member nations of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue or the Quad — India, Australia, Japan and the US — have been participating since 2020. The exercise is scheduled to begin on August 26.