Current Affairs- 24th-25th-26th August
Science and Technology
Anurag Thakur inaugurates high power transmitters at one of world's highest radio stations
- Union Information & Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur inaugurated high power transmitters at one of the highest Radio Stations in the world at Humbatingla in Kargil Ladakh, today. The Minister inaugurated Two – 10kW High Power Transmitters of All India Radio FM radio station and Doordarshan at an altitude of 13 thousand 300 feet from mean sea level at Humbatingla in Batalik of Kargil. Transmitters would improve the transmission and the reach in the region especially in the region.
- Anurag Thakur informed that thirty thousand units of DD Free Dishes with 130 channels, would be distributed to the border village public for free.
World’s Highest EV Charging Station inaugurated in Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh’s Kaza which is located in of Lahaul and Spiti district has got a unique distinction to its name as it now has the world’s highest electric vehicle(EV) charging station.
- The EV charging station was inaugurated in a bid to promote a sustainable environment.
- Mahendra Pratap Singh, Kaza Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) said, “This is the world’s highest electric vehicle charging station at 500 ft in Kaza. It is the first station here. If the station gets a good response, more stations would be set up.
India has emerged as 4th largest exporter of Marine products in the world
- MoS I&B Dr L Murugan said that India has emerged as the 4th largest exporter of Marine products in the world.
- After inaugurating the Vanijya Saptah programme organised by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade in the Madras Export Promotion Zone at Tambaram in Chennai, he said, marine products account for 17 to 18 per cent of the total agricultural products exports of the country.
- He said, the Union Government initiative of the Matsya Sampada is paying its rich dividends.
PM Modi to bring home 157 artefacts, antiquities handed over by US
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi to bring home 157 artefacts and antiquities from the US.
- These were handed over by the United States during his visit.
- Mr. Modi and President Biden committed to strengthen their efforts to combat the theft, illicit trade and trafficking of cultural objects.
- The list of 157 artefacts includes a diverse set to items ranging from the one and a half metre bas relief panel of Revanta in sandstone of the 10th CE. Also there is a 8.5cm tall, exquisite bronze Nataraja from the 12th CE.
Ministry of Civil Aviation releases India’s airspace map for drone operations
- Ministry of Civil Aviation today released India’s airspace map for drone operations.
- The map is available on DGCA’s digital sky platform, digitalsky.dgca.gov.in/home.
- The drone airspace map comes as a follow-through of the liberalised Drone Rules, 2021 released by the Central Government on 25th of last month, the PLI scheme for drones released on 15th of this month and the Geospatial Data Guidelines issued on 15th February this year.
Weaver Services and Design Resource Center will be set up in Kullu
- A Weaver Services and Design Resource Center will be set up in Kullu to encourage attractive handicraft products of Himachal Pradesh besides providing a better platform for export of these products in the international market.
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry and Textiles Piyush Goyal made this announcement during an interaction programme with handicraft and handloom artisans under Seva and Samarpan campaign on the occasion of golden jubilee of the statehood of Himachal Pradesh in Kullu district on Sunday.
- On this occasion, Union Minister interacted with the entrepreneurs of the district and distributed woodcraft, handloom, embroidery machines and certificates to the local handicraft and handloom artisans.
Centre notifies Production Linked Incentive Scheme for automobile & auto components
- The Centre has notified Production Linked Incentive Scheme (PLI) for automobile and auto components.
- The scheme will be implemented over a period of five years starting from financial year 2022 to 2023.
- It is estimated that the scheme will help create additional employment of over 7.5 lakh jobs in the auto sector.
- It will also attract fresh investments of over 42 thousand 500 crore rupees in five years.
Naga Cucumber from Nagaland gets GI tag
- Naga cucumbers are juicy, soft and sweet and is grown completely organically.
- They are low in calories but high in potassium and contain a high level of water & can serve as an alternative to consuming sports drinks.
- Cucumber has been traditionally cultivated by Naga farmers in their Jhum fields as a mixed crop mainly during the Kharif season (April –May).
- It is one of the important component crops in the jhum cultivation.
- Some tribes like Konyak are found to grow cucumber all throughout the year by seed to seed method depending upon the soil type.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 76th session of UNGA
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 76th session of UN General Assembly yesterday evening. It was a message of hope, caution and earnesty.
- He warned the global community to be aware of the challenges of terrorism. The Prime Minister said that those who use it as a political tool must understand that terrorism is a double edged sword and can be a threat for them as well.
- PM Modi said that it must be ensured that Afghan soil is not used for terror activities. Without naming any country, he said that some nations are trying to use the fragile situation in Afghanistan as a tool, which must be stopped.
Bangladesh: ADB approves USD 250 million loan for economic recovery programme
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 250 million loan to Bangladesh for economic recovery following the COVID 19 pandemic in the country. This is the first installment of the USD 500 million Sustainable Economic Recovery Programme for Bangladesh.
- The Sustainable Economic Recovery Programme aims to generate employment and expand economic activities for micro-entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- The loan will support the government’s planned investment in education, health, social protection and infrastructure to help stimulate economic activities and recovery.
Bangabandhu-Bapu digital exhibition opens in Dhaka
- The Bangabandhu-Bapu digital exhibition was opened for public viewing in Dhaka on Saturday. Education Minister of Bangladesh Dr. Dipu Moni, State Minister for Culture K.M.Khalid and High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Vikram Doraiswami opened the exhibition at the Shilpkala Academy in Dhaka.
- The exhibition showcases in a thematic manner the lives of the father of the nation of Bangladesh Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi. The exhibition has been specially curated by the two governments to commemorate the Mujib Boarsho, birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib and 150 years of the birth of Mahatma Gandhi as well as the golden jubilee of India-Bangladesh bilateral relations.
QUAD leaders call for free and open Indo-Pacific
- The first ever QUAD leaders summit in person was held in Washington yesterday. US President Joe Biden, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrisson and Japanese premier Yoshihide Suga attended the meeting. Prime Minister Modi called the QUAD a force for global good.
- In a joint statement, the QUAD leaders called for a free and open Indo-Pacific which is also inclusive and resilient. They said the UN convention on the law seas must be adhered to in the South China Sea.
- For QUAD Vaccine Initiative, the four nations pledged to donate over 1.2million doses of COVID Vaccine.
Odisha to host junior men's World Cup Hockey
- Odisha will host the junior men’s World Cup Hockey in coming November. Chief minister Naveen Patnaik announced this in capital Bhubaneswar last evening.
- He also unveiled the logo and trophy for the tournament.
- As many as 16 countries will take part in the event that will be held in the Kalinga stadium in Bhubaneswar from the 24th November 5th December 2021. Odisha had hosted the 2018 men’s hockey world cup.
Days and Dates
Nation observes Antyodaya Divas on 25 September
- Antyodaya Diwas is celebrated every year on 25 September to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya, one of the most prominent personalities in the history of Indian politics. This year, the Antyodaya Diwas marks the 105th birth anniversary of Upadhyaya. He was the co-founder of Bharatiya Jana Sangh (BJS) and a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) thinker.
- As Antyodaya means uplifting the poorest of the poor, the special day aims at reaching the last person of the society. On this day, Upadhyaya is remembered for his contribution to society and politics.
Other Important Affairs
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the Pradhan Mantri Digital Health Mission (PM-DHM) via video-conferencing tomorrow. The pilot project of National Digital Health Mission had been announced by the Prime Minister from the ramparts of Red Fort on 15th August, 2020. Currently, PM-DHM is being implemented in pilot phase in six Union Territories.
- Apple’s co-creator Steve Wozniak has launched a new space start-up called Privateer Space, bringing potential competition to a field dominated by billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson.
- World Pharmacist Day 2021 is being celebrated today. The day has been marked to celebrate and recognise the role of pharmacists in the field of health sector. The theme declared for World Pharmacist Day 2021 is “Pharmacy: Always Trusted For Your Health”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed happiness over the Puratchi Thalaivar Dr. M.G. Ramachandran Central Railway Station for being fully powered by solar energy.