Current Affairs- 23rd July
Science and Technology
BARC develops superabsorbent material to combat oil pollution
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), a premier nuclear research institute of Department of Atomic Energy located in Mumbai, has developed a highly efficient super-hydrophobic and super-oleophilic cotton by radiation technology.
- Speaking on the occasion Dr. A.K. Mohanty, Director, BARC, Mumbai has said that there is no absorbent currently available that can remove floating oil from water surface and sediment oil (underwater) simultaneously”.
- He informed that the “super absorbent cotton” has been developed by Dr. Subhendu Ray Chowdhury, a scientist working in Isotope and Radiation Application Division, BARC and he has been conferred with National Award for Technology Innovation, 2019 by Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India for this innovation.
Social Justice & Empowerment Ministry to organise 5th NE India Traditional Fashion Week
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is organising the virtual 5th North-East India Traditional Fashion Week 2021 tomorrow. The National Institute for the Empowerment of Persons with Visual Disabilities is organizing the event to cater to the Divyang populace and stakeholders from the North-East to promote the arts and artisans of North-East India.
- The two days online event will be inaugurated by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dr. Virendra Kumar. The event will be hosted through webcasting and web-conferencing facilities.
Defence minister Rajnath Singh flags in Army skiing expedition along China border
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh flagged-in the Indian Army Skiing Expedition, ARMEX-21, in New Delhi on Friday. The ARMEX-21 was conducted in the mountain ranges of the Himalayan region to promote the adventure activity in the country and the Indian Army. The expedition was flagged off at Karakoram Pass in Ladakh on 10th March and culminated at Malari in Uttarakhand on 6th of July.
- Speaking on the occasion, Mr Rajnath Singh congratulated the team on the successful completion of the challenging expedition and lauded them for their courage and resilience.
INS Tabar arrives at St Petersburg to take part in Russia's Navy Day celebration
- Indian Naval Ship Tabar reached St Petersburg on Thursday as part of a five-day goodwill visit to Russia. INS Tabar will participate in the 325th Navy Day celebrations of the Russian Navy. India and Russia share special bilateral relations that span several decades. These include close military ties and strong cooperation between the two navies.
- During the Russian Navy Day Parade on 25th of July, INS Tabar will join the column of ships that will be reviewed by the President of Russia. The Indian Naval Band embarked on Tabar will also participate in the City Parade during the celebrations. In addition, the crew of Tabar will participate in various bilateral professional interactions with the Russian Navy. This will be followed by naval exercises at sea between the two navies.
India sees significant improvement in UNESCAP score on trade facilitation
- India has scored 90.32 per cent in United Nation’s Economic and Social Commission for Asia Pacific, UNESCAP’s latest Global Survey on Digital and Sustainable Trade Facilitation. The survey hails this as a remarkable jump from 78.49 per cent in 2019. Finance Ministry said, there is significant improvement in India’s score in United Nation’s Global Survey on Digital and Sustainable Trade Facilitation. India has achieved a 100 per cent score for the Transparency index and 66 per cent in the Women in trade component.
- The survey notes that India is the best performing country when compared to South and South West Asia region and Asia Pacific region.
World’s first 3D-printed steel bridge opens to public in Amsterdam
- If you thought 3D-printed scooters were cool, wait till you see where you can take them if you happen to be in Amsterdam. Earlier this month, engineers installed the world’s first 3D-printed steel bridge, over the Oudezijds Achterburgwal canal in Amsterdam’s Red Light District. After being dedicated by Queen Maxima of the Netherlands, the bridge is now open to pedestrians and cyclists (and, presumably, scooterists), according to a report from the Imperial College of London.
- To ensure that soundness continues, the bridge is infused with a myriad of sensors detecting stress, movement, vibration and temperature.
Aman Gulia and Sagar Jaglan become cadet world champions
- Young wrestlers Aman Gulia and Sagar Jaglan emerged the new world champions in their respective categories as India dished out an impressive show on the second day of the Cadet World Championship.
- Gulia emerged winner with a convincing 5-2 win over American Luke Joseph Lilledahl in 48kg final while Jaglan blanked James Mockler Rowley 4-0 in the 80kg summit clash.
- Sahil won bronze in the 110kg by pinning Kazakhstan’s Alikhan Kussainov inside the first two-minute period.
Hockey India launches player-oriented web-based platform for players
- Hockey India has launched its own player-oriented web-based engagement platform, the ‘Heroes Connect’ in its bid to curate a detailed database of the players who have represented the country in both men and women’s game.
- The unique responsive platform has been designed to encourage former and current Indian hockey players to initiate constructive discussions around the sport.
- All the former and current hockey players who have played for India can register their profiles on the platform verified by the national federation.
Book and Author
Bank with a Soul Equitas by Dr. CK Garyali
- Shri. Duvvuri Subbarao, Former Governor, RBI on July 17th released Dr. C K Garyali’s book, ‘Bank with a Soul: Equitas’.
- The book is dedicated to all the customers, employees, shareholders and every single person who is associated with Equitas, empowering this organization to work towards a better society. The book is the author’s tribute to the bank that is a sharing, caring and a giving institution. Gariyali says, “I hope other banks and corporates in India will also do more for social development of the country with commitment and get inspired from the Equitas Model.”
Days and Dates
National Broadcasting Day: 23rd July
- It is true that today technology has made a lot of progress and information from different parts of the world is just a click away. But the journey was started with the Radio. In India, “National Broadcasting Day” is celebrated on 23rd July every year to make people aware of the importance of radio. Radio has been an important part of the lives of people in India. On this day in the year 1927, the broadcast of radio started from Bombay station for the first time in the country under a private company called Indian Broadcasting Company of India (IBC).
- India’s public service broadcaster, Prasar Bharati is one of the largest broadcasting organizations in the world. Prasar Bharati has 470 broadcasting centers across the country, covering approximately 92% of the country’s area and 99.19% of the total population
Other Important Affairs
- IndiaDefence Research and Development Organisation, DRDO conducted a successful flight-test of New Generation Akash missile from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the coast of Odisha on Friday.
- The Reserve Bank of India is likely to soon kick off pilot projects to assess the viability of using digital currency to make wholesale and retail payments to help calibrate its strategy for introducing a full-scale central bank digital currency (CBDC).
- The US, which had previously imposed sanctions to prevent the completion of a major new gas pipeline between Russia and Germany, has now signalled its approval for the project.
- Sports equipment made in Meerut in the hands of world renowned foreign athletes will shine on the Tokyo Olympic grounds. With sports equipment from Meerut, the renowned players will aim to defeat the opponent. More than 500 equipments of various sports equipment manufacturers have been sent from Meerut to Tokyo for the Olympics. Meerut-made Discus, Hammer, Javelin, Shortput, Hurdles will be seen in the Olympic Games starting from 23 July.