Current Affairs- 1st September
Science and Technology
e-Source: IIT Madras gears to tackle e-waste of the country
- “Recycle, Reuse and Create”, are the fundamental principles to make a big difference on our part in order to save this planet. The industrial revolution which marked a new era in human civilization has brought enormous changes in our lives, economies, industries, and institutions.
- In this regard, the Indian Institute (IIT) of Madras is in the process of developing an innovative model to tackle electronic wastes (e-waste) by linking buyers and sellers in the formal and informal sectors. Named ‘e-Source’ the digital platform will be an exchange platform that will serve as an online marketplace for Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) and facilitate a formal supply chain between various stakeholders (buyers and sellers).
President’s colour to be awarded to Naval Aviation on September 6
- President Ram Nath Kovind will award the President’s Colour to Indian Naval Aviation at the ceremonial parade to be held at INS Hansa in Goa on 6th of September. The Postal Department will release a Special Day Cover to mark the occasion.
- The President’s Colour is the highest honour bestowed upon a military unit in recognition of its exceptional service to the nation. Navy was the first amongst the Indian Armed Forces to be awarded the President’s Colour on 27 May 1951 by the country’s first President Dr Rajendra Prasad.
PM Modi to release Commemorative coin on Iskcon founder Swami Prabhupada
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will release a special commemorative coin of 125 rupees and address the gathering on the occasion of the 125th Birth Anniversary of Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada Ji today through video conferencing. Union Culture Minister G Kishan Reddy will be present on the occasion.
- Srila Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada founded the International Society for Krishna Consciousness ISKCON commonly known as the “Hare Krishna movement”.
India, Kazakhstan joint military exercise ‘KAZIND-21’ begins today
- The India – Kazakhstan joint military exercise KAZIND-21 commenced today at Training Node Aisha Bibi, Kazakhstan. This is the 5th Edition of Annual bilateral joint exercise of both Armies and will continue till 10th of September. The fourth edition of the exercise was held at Pithoragarh, India in September 2019.
- Defence Ministry said, the contingent comprises 120 troops from Kazakhstan and 90 soldiers from the Indian Army. Both the contingents will share their expertise and skills in the field of counter-terror operations. The exercise will culminate in a 48 hours joint validation exercise scheduled on 8th and 9th of September.
Indian Army to participate in Multilateral Exercise ZAPAD, 2021 in Russia
- A 200 personnel contingent of Indian Army will participate in Exercise ZAPAD, 2021, a Multi Nation exercise being held at Nizhniy, Russia from Friday.
- The Exercise will continue till 16th of September. Ministry of Defence in a statement said that Exercise ZAPAD is one of the theatre level exercises of Russian Armed Forces and will focus primarily on operations against terrorists.
- Over a dozen countries from Eurasian and South Asian Region will participate in this signature event. The exercise aims to enhance military and strategic ties amongst the participating nations while they plan and execute this exercise.
India’s month-long Presidency of UNSC ends
- India’s month-long Presidency of the powerful UN Security Council has ended with “substantive” outcomes on key global issues including a strong resolution on the situation in Afghanistan.
- The resolution reflected India’s views and concerns, and demanded that the Afghan territory not be used to threaten any country or shelter terrorists. India, currently serving a two-year term as a non-permanent member of the 15-nation Security Council, assumed the rotating Presidency of the UN body for the month of August.
India launches soft skills training programme for women entrepreneurs in Bangladesh
- The High Commission of India in association with the ICT Ministry of Bangladesh and Women & E-commerce and SilkOak global limited launched an year long soft skills training programme in Dhaka on Wednesday. The training programme will help the women entrepreneurs of Bangladesh to develop communication skills and presentation skills among other soft skills beneficial to facilitate their business efforts.
- More than 700 women entrepreneurs have already registered for the training series, said a press release of the High Commission of India. The programme will be run in hybrid mode with physical workshops and virtual learning elements.
Fit India Quiz launched
- EM Dharmendra Pradhan and Sports Minister Anurag Thakur today launched the India’s biggest quiz event, the Fit India Quiz at a function in New Delhi.
- It is the first of its kind nationwide Quiz on Fitness and Sports. The nation-wide quiz is aimed at creating awareness about fitness and sports among school-going children, while giving them a chance to compete on a national platform and an opportunity to win cash prize for their schools.
- This Fit India Quiz is part of the central government’s ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ initiative to celebrate 75 years of India’s Independence. It is designed to not just bring students from all states on one platform, but also to involve them in a competition of mental skill and physical fitness.
Awards and Honours
Bangladeshi vaccine scientist, Pakistani microfinanceer among this year's Ramon Magsaysay awardees
- A Bangladeshi vaccine scientist and a microfinance pioneer from Pakistan were the among the five recipients of this year”s Ramon Magsaysay Award — regarded as the Asian version of the Nobel Prize.
- Apart from Dr Firdausi Qadri from Bangladesh and Muhammad Amjad Saqib from Pakistan, the other winners are Filipino fisher and community environmentalist Roberto Ballon, American Steven Muncy for humanitarian work and refugee assistance and Indonesian torch bearer for investigative journalism, Watchdoc.
Days and Dates
National Nutrition Week 2021: 1st Sept-7th Sept
- In India, the National Nutrition Week is observed every year from September 1 to September 7 to raise public awareness about nutrition and healthy eating habits. The week is observed to make people understand the importance of nutritional and adaptive eating habits so that they can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- During the National Nutrition Week, the government takes up various initiatives to spread awareness about the right nutrition.
- The theme of the 2021 National Nutrition Week is ‘feeding smart right from start’.
Other Important Affairs
- I&B Minister Anurag Singh Thakur today said that India is a pivotal power in Asia and as member of the BRICS consortium, it would like to play a crucial role to strengthen ties among the member countries. He said, organising the first ever BRICS Film Technology Symposium is a step in this direction to bring the people from all member states together.
- The gross domestic product, GDP, of the country surged 20.1 percent in the April-June quarter of the current fiscal. According to the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation data released today, its best-ever fiscal-quarter numbers.
- Private lender ICICI bank has become the second lender in the country to cross the market cap of Rs 5 trillion. HDFC, India’s largest private lender holds first rank in this list. With this feat, ICICI Bank has become 7th company in the country to cross Rs 5 trillion market cap.
- Dorje Angchuk, the chief engineer at India’s northernmost astronomical observatory, is among 11 new honorary members inducted to the International Astronomical Union (IAU).