Current Affairs- 19thAugust
Science and Technology
USOF inks pact with BSNL for high-speed internet access to north-eastern states
- For making available high quality and high speed internet access to the States of North Eastern Region of the country, Universal Service Obligation Fund USOF has signed an Agreement with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited BSNL today for hiring of 10 Gbps International Bandwidth for Internet Connectivity to Agartala from Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Limited BSCCL Bangladesh through Cox Bazar and Kuakata.
- Under the Agreement, USOF will provide financial support to BSNL for a period of three years for hiring the International Bandwidth. The availability of high speed internet access will help the citizens in accessing various e-services.
Priyanka Chopra replaces Deepika Padukone as Jio MAMI Film Festival chairperson
- Actor-producer Priyanka Chopra Jonas on Tuesday was announced as the chairperson of Jio MAMI Film Festival, almost four months after Deepika Padukone stepped down from the position.
- The Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI) unveiled its plans for the coming year, edition and the change in leadership.
- Priyanka was unanimously nominated by MAMI’s Board of Trustees which comprises Nita M Ambani (Co-Chairperson), Anupama Chopra (Festival Director), Ajay Bijli, Anand G. Mahindra, Farhan Akhtar, Isha Ambani, Kabir Khan, Kaustubh Dhavse, Kiran Rao, Rana Daggubati, Riteish Deshmukh, Rohan Sippy, Siddharth Roy Kapur, Vikramaditya Motwane, Vishal Bhardwaj and Zoya Akhtar.
Odisha becomes the 1st Indian state to provide Health Cards
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has announced smart health cards for 3.5 crore people under the Biju Swasthya Kalyan Yojana during Independence Day celebrations in the capital city of Bhubaneswar.
- “The initiative will transform the health service delivery system and create history in the health sector of the country,” Naveen Patnaik said.
- 3.5 crore people belonging to 96 lakh families will get this smart health card.
- Odisha is the first state in the country to provide such smart health cards.
- This card will be given to all the beneficiaries in a phased manner.
Army organises 400 km “JAZBAA-E- TIRANGA” relay marathon in J&K
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Army organised a 400 Km “JAZBAA-E- TIRANGA” Relay Marathon.
- The event was flagged off by Major General Rajeev Puri, General Officer Commanding (GOC), Ace of Spades Division, who led the relay, closely followed by other military personnel.
- More than 300 troops took part, carrying the Indian Tricolour all along the Line of Control (LoC).
- The run inculcated the spirit of brotherhood, as each soldier carried the symbolic National Flag of comradeship across the Area of Responsibility (AOR), handing it over to other units which stand shoulder to shoulder in war.
Delhi slips 5 spots in Prime Global Cities Index Q2
- Until now, the pandemic-fuelled house prime boom was most evident in the mainstream market but the prime sector has now surged ahead. Prime property prices across 46 cities globally increased at an average rate of 8.2% in the year to June 2021, up from 4.6% in March, according to Knight Frank’s ‘Prime Global Cities Index Q2 2021’ report.
- By comparison, mainstream prices across 150 cities increased by 7.3% on average in the year to Q1 2021. Toronto leads this quarter’s results, recording annual prime price growth of 27%, driven by strong buyer appetite and low inventory levels. Despite a recent raft of cooling measures, the next three rankings are occupied by key Asian cities – Shanghai (21%), Guangzhou (20%) and Seoul (20%). Miami (19%) completes the top five this quarter.
Piyush Goyal chairs 5th meeting of BRICS Industry Ministers
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal chaired the 5th meeting of BRICS Industry Ministers through video conferencing yesterday. The Industry Ministers of BRICS Countries Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa attended the meeting.
- India’s efforts of channelizing technology towards good and smart governance thus increasing transparency and accountability were highlighted. India has developed a vibrant and dynamic start-up ecosystem, leveraged existing platforms and digital technologies such as Aadhar and UPI payments for ensuring delivery of critical services to the last mile.
Algeria decides to review its relations with Morocco
- Algeria has decided to review its relations with Morocco, accusing its neighbour of hostile acts. It follows an investigation into the killing of man falsely accused of starting wildfires.
- The repeated hostile acts committed by Morocco against Algeria require a review of our relations and the intensification of border controls, the Algerian president’s office said in a statement.
- The decision was made in a meeting of the High Security Council assessing the damage caused by huge wildfires that hit the country. The authorities have concluded the majority were “criminal acts”.
Amway India appoints Mirabai Chanu as brand ambassador for Nutrilite range
- Direct selling FMCG firm Amway India on Tuesday announced that it has appointed Olympian Saikhom Mirabai Chanu as the brand ambassador for Amway and its Nutrilite range of products.
- Chanu will spearhead the company’s campaigns focused on product ranges such as Nutrilite Daily, Omega and All Plant Protein among others.
- The association with the Olympic medalist is in line with Amway’s focus on consolidating its health and nutrition category, especially targeting women and youth in the country
Book and Author
‘Lahore: Book 1 of the Partition Trilogy’ by Manreet Sodhi Someshwar
- HarperCollins is proud to announce a literary thriller that takes one back to the turbulent year of Independence ‘LAHORE: BOOK 1 OF THE PARTITION TRILOGY’ by Manreet Sodhi Someshwar.
- About the Book- In the months leading up to independence, in Delhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Vallabhbhai Patel are engaged in deliberations with British Viceroy Dickie Mountbatten over the fate of the country. In Lahore, Sepoy Malik returns home from the Great War hoping to win his sweetheart Tara’s hand in marriage, only to find divide-and-rule holding sway, and love, friendships and familial bonds being tested.
Days and Dates
World Photography Day: 19th August
- On the occasion of World Photography Day on 19 August, 2021, a biopic of acclaimed photographer-photo journalist, Raghu Rai will be streamed by Films Division on its website and YouTube channels.
- The film titled “Raghu Rai : Hearing Through the Eyes” (29Min/ Suvendu Chatterjee) portrays a journey through the inner and outer world of the legendary photographer. The film wades through an intertwined passage of photographs, personal narratives and world views that combine in the process of the making of a maestro and his life.
Other Important Affairs
- World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed every year on 19 August to pay tribute to humanitarian personnel and those workers who lost or risked their lives while doing humanitarian service. In 2021 we are celebrating the 12th WHD.
- The United Nations cultural agency UNESCO called for the protection of Afghanistan’s cultural heritage and to ensure a safe environment for artists, days after the Taliban swept to power in Kabul.
- Mr N K Singh has been elected as the President of the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) society. Mr Singh earlier was the Chairman of the Fifteenth Finance Commission. Mr Singh succeeds Dr Manmohan Singh, former Prime Minister of the country.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) against hostile radar threats. Chaff is a critical defence technology used to protect fighter aircraft from hostile radar threats.