Current Affairs-15th-16th-17th October
Science and Technology
UIDAI to host Aadhaar Hackathon 2021 from 28-31 October
- UIDAI will host “Aadhaar Hackathon 2021” from 28th to 31st October. The hackathon is targeted at young innovators – who are still at various engineering institutes and eager to step into the real world.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given a clarion call to celebrate the 75th year of Independence of India, as the AzadikaAmritMahotsav. To celebrate this momentous occasion, UIDAI is hosting the hackathon which is themed around two topics. The first theme is around “Enrolment and Update”, which essentially covers some of the real-life challenges being faced by the residents while updating their address.
PM Narendra Modi dedicates 7 new Defence PSUs to the nation
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver video address in an event organized by the Defence Ministry to dedicate the seven new Defence Companies to the Nation tomorrow. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and representatives from the Defence industry associations will be present on the occasion.
- Government has decided to convert Ordnance Factory Board from a Government Department into seven 100 percent Government owned corporate entities, as a measure to improve self-reliance in the defence preparedness of the country. This move will bring about enhanced functional autonomy, efficiency and will unleash new growth potential and innovation.
Mount Harriet in Andaman renamed as Mount Manipur
- Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh has expressed deep appreciation and gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and other Central leaders over the renaming of ‘Mount Harriet’ at Kalapani in Andaman and Nicobar Islands to ‘Mount Manipur’.
- The Chief Minister said, it is indeed a proud moment for the people of Manipur that the Central government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been giving special attention to the State
- Speaking to media persons at Chief Minister’s Secretariat on Sunday, Mr Singh said that after the announcement of renaming of ‘Mount Harriet’ to ‘Mount Manipur’ by Union Home Minister Amit Shah on Saturday at Port Blair, the people of Manipur are overwhelmed with joy and happiness.
Varanasi to become first Indian city to use ropeway services for public
- The Varanasi Development Authority Vice Chairman Isha Dutta on Sunday said that India will be the third country in the world after Bolivia and Mexico City, to have a ropeway for public transport. The city of Varanasi will soon become the first Indian city to use ropeway services in public transportation. Planned to be built from Cantt Railway Station(Varanasi Junction) to Church Square, the ropeway promises to curb the traffic snarls in the city.
- The ropeway service will cover a distance of 4.2 km aerially in the city of Varanasi. Nearly, 220 cable cars will run on the ropeway. Varanasi, commonly known as the Gateway of Eastern India, will cover the pilot project of the ropeway service worth Rs 424 crore. The overall cost of the pilot project is likely to divide between the state government and centre in the ratio of 20: 80.
Ritesh Chauhan named as CEO of PM Fasal Bima Yojana
- Senior bureaucrat Ritesh Chauhan has been appointed as the chief executive officer (CEO) of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) and Joint Secretary, Agriculture under the Department of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare.
- Chauhan will have a combined tenure of seven years up to September 22, 2023.
- He is a 2005-batch IAS officer of the Himachal Pradesh cadre. He will succeed Ashish Kumar Bhutani, who was appointed in 2018.
India, US reaffirm commitment to raise 100 billion USD annually to tackle climate change
- India and the US reaffirmed their commitment to raising $100 billion annually from public and private sector sources to help develop the two countries’ efforts to tackle climate change. The climate crisis was the first topic of discussion at a meeting of the India-US Economic and Financial Partnership yesterday under the leadership of India’s finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman and US treasury secretary Janet Yellen.
- A joint statement said the first session of the meeting dedicated to climate finance, reflecting our respective commitments to driving urgent progress in combating climate change and the critical role of climate finance in achieving this shared global goal,”
Global Hunger Index
- India was ranked 101 in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) for 2021 from 94 in the previous year, trailing behind its South Asian neighbours Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.
- India reacted angrily on Friday, calling the methodology used for the rankings unscientific and saying it was shocked by the drop in its position.
- The Global Hunger Index (GHI), which tracks hunger and malnutrition, showed that 18 countries, including China, Brazil and Kuwait, shared the top rank, with GHI scores of less than five. The report was prepared by the Irish aid agency Concern Worldwide and Germany’s Welt Hunger Hilfe. The report termed the level of hunger in India as “alarming”.
ASEAN to invite a non-political representative from Myanmar for its summit meeting
- The regional grouping of Southeast Asian nations ASEAN has decided to invite a ‘non-political’ representative from Myanmar for the summit meeting to be held between Oct 26-28, said the ASEAN Chair Brunei.
- The statement by the ASEAN Chair was issued after an emergency meeting of the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN countries on Friday night.
- The statement implies that the military government will not be invited for the summit meeting which is an unprecedented move for the group.
India beat Nepal 3-0 to clinch SAFF Championship title for 8th time
- India clinched the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship for eighth time defeating Nepal 3-0 in Male. India dominated possession in the first-half but they failed to score any goal.
- However, captain Chhetri put India ahead minutes into the second half and even before Nepal could settle down, Suresh made it 2-0.
- Sahal made it 3-0 when he tricked a few defenders after receiving the ball on the left flank at the stroke of the final whistle Chhetri’s goal in the final game helped him level with Lionel Messi on 80 international goals.
Nagaland to host 56th National Cross Country Championship next year
- South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships will be held in Kohima on 15th January 2022. While the 56th National Cross Country Championships which is also being hosted by Nagaland will be clubbed with the South Asian Federation Cross Country Championships. This was announced by Associate Vice President of Athletics Federation of India, AFI, Abu Metha during a press conference held at Kohima today.
- Metha said, they are happy to announce that the South Asian Cross Country Championship will be hosted by India and the AFI has allowed the South Asian Cross Country Championship to Nagaland.
Days and Dates
World Food Day: 16th October
- World Food Day is being celebrated every year on October 16 to commemorate the date of the founding of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation in 1945.
- The day is also observed by organisations like World Food Programme and International Fund for Agricultural Development. Since 1981, World Food Day has celebrated various themes to highlight the importance of food security, with most of them revolving around agriculture.
- The theme for World Food Day this year is “Our actions are our future- Better production, better nutrition, a better environment and a better life,” as per the official website of FAO.
International Day for Eradication of Poverty: 17th October
- International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed every year on October 17 and aims to raise awareness about people living in poverty.
- According to the United Nations’ website, the day is a chance to acknowledge the efforts and struggles of people living in poverty, a chance for them to make their concerns heard, and a moment to recognise that poor people are the first ones to fight against poverty.
- This year’s theme is “Building forward together: Ending Persistent Poverty, Respecting all People and our Planet.”
Other Important Affairs
- India will participate in the Moscow Format Meeting on Afghanistan on 20th October. This will be the first meeting of the Moscow Format since the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan. The Moscow Format was launched in 2017 as a six-party mechanism for consultations between representatives of Afghanistan, China, Pakistan, Iran, India and Russia.
- A K Goel, managing director and chief executive (MD & CEO) of UCO Bank has been elected as the chairman of Indian Bank’s Association (IBA) for 2021-22.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries has topped the Indian corporates in the World’s Best Employers 2021 rankings published by Forbes. Globally, Reliance is placed at 52nd position among 750 global corporates. South Korean giant Samsung Electronics has topped the overall ranking as World’s Best Employers 2021
- World Student’s Day is celebrated every year on October 15. The day is celebrated in honour of the birth anniversary of the former president of India, Late Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. Since 2010, the United Nations Organisation (UNO) has marked October 15 as World Student’s Day in an attempt to acknowledge the efforts of Dr Kalam toward education and his students. The current year’s (2021) theme of World Students’ Day is “Learning for people, planet, prosperity and peace”.