Current Affairs- 15th September
Science and Technology
Prasar Bharati & Sansad TV ink MoU for uplink of ‘Sansad TV’ in HDTV format
- Public Broadcaster- Prasar Bharati and ‘Sansad TV’ which a division of Parliament of India, have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for uplink of ‘Sansad TV’ in HDTV format free of cost in exchange of archival content of LSTV and RSTV.
- Prasar Bharati will also carry Sansad TV-SD in its DD Free Dish Platform. It has now been decided to merge Lok Sabah TV and Rajya Sabah TV channels and rechristen the merged entity as ‘Sansad TV’, which will be telecast in both HDTV and SDTV formats as Sansad TV-HD and Sansad TV-SD.
NITI Aayog to launch report on ‘Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity in India’
- NITI Aayog will launch a report on ‘Reforms in Urban Planning Capacity in India’ tomorrow.
- The report will be released by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar and Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, in the presence of NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
- The report comprises a set of recommendations on various aspects of urban planning such as interventions for planning healthy cities, optimum utilization of urban land, ramping up human-resource capacities, strengthening urban governance, building local leadership, enhancing the role of private sector and advancing the urban planning education system.
India and USA sign MoU for enhancing export potential of Indian traditional medicine products
- The Ayush Ministry has paved the way for strengthening the quality of Ayurvedic and other Indian traditional medicine products globally and also enhancing their export potential especially to the USA market.
- An MoU has been signed between the Pharmacopoeia Commission for Indian Medicine and Homoeopathy and the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia, USA, on September 13, 2021. The MoU is aimed at strengthening promotion and development of standards in the field of Ayurveda and other Indian Traditional systems of medicine between the two countries on the basis of equality and mutual benefit.
Govt approves PLI Scheme for Drones & Drone Components
- The Union Cabinet today approved the Production-linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for Automobile and Drone Industries with a budgetary outlay of 26 thousand 58 crore rupees.
- It will herald a new age in higher technology, more efficient and green automotive manufacturing.
- Briefing reporters after the cabinet meeting in New Delhi, Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said, a sum of 25 thousand 938 crore rupees for the auto sector and 120 crore rupees have been allocated for Drone Industry.
3 Indian villages in UNWTO “Best Tourism Villages” nomination list
- “Tourism can be a driver of positive change for rural communities all around the world,” – UNWTO Secretary-General Zurab Pololikashvili
- Three Indian villages have entered the nominations for ‘Best Tourism Villages’ by the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO). The World Tourism Organization has called for the best tourism villages, the applications for which will end on September 15, 2021.
- UNWTO is recognizing villages across the world that are committed to the promotion and preservation of their cultural heritage and sustainable development through tourism.
North Korea fires two ballistic missiles off its east coast
- North Korea has fired two ballistic missiles off its east coast. This is the second weapons test North Korea has carried out this week.
- It had also tested a long-range cruise missile capable of hitting much of Japan on Monday, calling it “a strategic weapon of great significance.
- Japan’s Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has called the launch “outrageous” saying it threatened peace and security in the region.
- Ballistic missile tests contravene UN resolutions designed to curb the North’s nuclear activities.
- South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) has confirmed the news amd said it is not clear exactly where the missiles were destined for or their flight range.
7th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Chile held in Santiago
- The 7th Foreign Office Consultations between India and Chile were held in Santiago yesterday. The Indian side was led by Secretary (East) in Ministry of External Affairs Riva Ganguly Das and the Chilean side was led by Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile Ms. Carolina Valdivia Torres.
- During the Foreign Office Consultations, both sides comprehensively reviewed the entire gamut of their bilateral relations which included trade and investments, defence, agriculture, health and pharmaceuticals, energy, space, cooperation in Antarctica, disaster management, cultural and consular issues.
Chinese ambassador to UK barred from attending British Parliament
- In a sign of diplomatic war between China and the United Kingdom, Chinese ambassador to Britain has been barred from attending an event in British parliament by the Speakers. Britain’s move came after Beijing imposed sanctions on UK lawmakers earlier this year as they highlighted alleged human right abuses in China’s Xinjiang province.
- Speaker of the House of Commons Lindsay Hoyle and Speaker of the House of Lords John McFall stepped in yesterday to prevent Chinese ambassador Zheng Zeguang from speaking at the event. Hoyle said he was not banning the Chinese ambassador permanently, but only while the sanctions remained in place.
Awards and Honours
Prestigious “Rajbhasha Keerthi Puraskar” award presented to NMD Ltd.
- The highest and the most prestigious “Rajbhasha Keerthi Puraskar” award was presented to National Mineral Development Ltd. (NMDC), under Ministry of Steel during the Rajbhasha Diwas Samaroh in New Delhi yesterday.
- NMDC secured the third prize in the category of Undertakings situated in “C” region for the year 2019-20. Hindi Diwas Samaroh was presided over by Home Minister Amit Shah. During the function Dr. Sailesh Shukla, Assistant Manager (Rajbhasha), NMDC Donimalai Iron Ore Project was also felicitated with the “Rajbhasha Gourav Puraskar” for his published article.
Days and Dates
International Day of Democracy: 15th September
- The International Day of Democracy also known as World Democracy Day is observed every year on 15 September. It is a day which highlights the importance of participation of all members for proper functioning of a democracy.
- United Nations this year is promoting three essential elements of democracy which are: Freedom, Human Rights, Free and fair elections.
- This year the hashtag that is being promoted by UN is Stand Up For Human Rights or #StandUp4HumanRights.
Other Important Affairs
- Centre has announced major reforms in Telecom, Automobile and Drone sectors. The Cabinet yesterday approved a number of structural and process reforms in the Telecom sector. These are expected to protect and generate employment opportunities, promote healthy competition, protect interests of consumers, infuse liquidity, encourage investment and reduce regulatory burden on Telecom Service Providers.
- In India, Engineer’s Day is celebrated on September 15 every year. The day is celebrated to recognise the contribution of engineers in the development of the nation.
- DBS has launched real-time online tracking for cross-border collections for businesses in India in partnership with SWIFT Global Payments Innovation (gpi). DBS is the first bank in India and Asia-Pacific to offer this service to clients, which is expected to benefit close to 4000 corporate and SME clients in India, with numbers expected to grow further.
- The World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is observed globally on September 15 every year. The day is dedicated to raising awareness about lymphoma and the particular emotional and psychosocial challenges facing patients and caregivers suffering from different forms of lymphoma.