Current Affairs- 15th July
Science and Technology
Third successful Vikas engine long duration hot test for Gaganyaan Program
- ISRO has successfully conducted the third long duration hot test of the liquid propellant Vikas Engine for the core L110 liquid stage of the human rated GSLV MkIII vehicle, as part of the engine qualification requirements for the Gaganyaan Programme.
- The engine was fired for a duration of 240 seconds at the engine test facility of ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC), Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu. The performance of the engine met the test objectives and the engine parameters were closely matching with the predictions during the entire duration of the test
Defence Minister launches AI-powered grievance management app
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday launched an Artificial Intelligence-powered grievance management application in New Delhi. The system was developed by Ministry of Defence with the cooperation of IIT-Kanpur.
- This is the first Artificial Intelligence-based system developed to improve grievance redressal in the Government. The system can identify repeat complaints or spam automatically. It enables geographical analysis of complaints in a category including analysis of whether the complaint was adequately addressed or not by the concerned office.
Civil Aviation ministry releases draft of Drone Rules 2021 for public consultation
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) has released reorganized – The Drone Rules, 2021 for public consultation. Built on a premise of trust, self-certification and non-intrusive monitoring, The Drone Rules, 2021 will replace the UAS Rules 2021 (released on 12th March 2021). The last date for receipt of public comments is 5th August 2021.
- Key takeaways from the Draft Drone Rules, 2021 include that there will be minimal human interface on the digital sky platform and most permissions will be self-generated. Safety features like ‘No Permission – No Take-off’ (NPNT), real-time tracking beacon, geo-fencing etc. to be notified in future.
PM Modi inaugurates International Cooperation & Convention Centre ‘Rudraksh’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday inaugurated the International Cooperation and Convention Centre – Rudraksh in Varanasi, which has been constructed with Japanese assistance. Then he inspected the Maternal and Child Health Wing, BHU. He also met with officials and medical professionals to review Covid preparedness.
- Addressing the gathering, the Prime Minister said that despite Covid, the pace of development remains intact in Kashi. He added that the ‘International Cooperation and Convention Center – Rudraksh’ is the result of this creativity and dynamism. He said this Centre shows the strong connect between India and Japan. He lauded Japan’s effort in helping to build the convention centre.
MSME Minister Narayan Rane launches two new Khadi Products
- MSME Minister Narayan Rane on Thursday launched two new Khadi Products- Khadi Babywear and Unique Handmade Paper Use and Throw Slippers in New Delhi. The new products include Khadi’s first ever cotton clothing for babies.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission, KVIC has used 100 per cent hand-spun and handwoven cotton fabric that is soft on the tender and sensitive skin of the children and prevents them from any rashes or skin irritation.
- The Khadi’s handmade paper use and throw slippers have been developed for the first time in India. These handmade paper slippers are 100 per cent eco-friendly and cost-effective. The Handmade paper is made of natural fibres like Cotton and Silk rags and agro waste.
IAHE signs agreement with University of New South Wales
- The Indian Academy of Highway Engineers, IAHE under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has inked an Agreement with University of New South Wales, Australia for setting up a Centre for Advanced Transportation Technology and Systems in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- The Agreement was signed in a virtual ceremony on Thursday in the presence of Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari. Speaking on the occasion, Mr Gadkari said the project will help improve the road safety scenario in the country.
- The Agreement is for a project for capacity building, technology transfer and creation of enabling environment for establishment of Centre for Advanced Transportation Technology and Systems in, IAHE.
U.S. Senate passes bill to ban all products from China's Xinjiang
- The US Senate yesterday passed a legislation to ban the import of products from China’s Xinjiang region. Passed by unanimous consent, the Uyghur Forced Labour Prevention Act would shift the burden of proof to importers. The bill must also be passed by the House of Representatives before it can be sent to the White House for President Joe Biden to sign into law.
- Republican Senator Marco Rubio, who introduced the legislation with Democrat Jeff Merkley, called on the House to act quickly. He said that US will not turn a blind eye to the Chinese Communist Party’s ongoing crimes against humanity and will not allow corporations a free pass to profit from those horrific abuses.
BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Declaration adopted
- In the BRICS Labour & Employment Ministers’ Meeting under India’s Presidency on Thursday, the BRICS Labour and Employment Ministers’ Declaration was adopted. The Ministerial Declaration recognizes that the COVID-19 pandemic has negatively impacted the efforts made to address unemployment, decent work deficits and inequality.
- It also illustrates the strong determination of BRICS Member countries to recover with stronger national economies, inclusive labour markets and social protection systems. In the meeting, discussion on four priority areas of cooperation took place, namely, Promoting Social Security Agreements amongst BRICS Nations; Formalisation of Labour Markets; Participation of Women in the Labour Force; and role of Gig and Platform Workers in the labour market.
Wimbledon: Two matches investigated over irregular betting patterns
- In tennis, two matches at Wimbledon this year are under investigation after “possible irregular betting patterns”. The matches, which were reported to the International Tennis Integrity Agency, are an early-round singles match and a men’s doubles contest.
- On the singles match, a five-figure sum was bet at the end of the second set on the exact result. During the doubles match, a winning bet was placed as the favourites, who eventually lost, took the first set.
- It was reported in the German newspaper that a German player was involved in the singles match in question, but was not themselves under investigation
World Youth Skills Day: 15th July
- World Youth Skills Day, observed annually on July 15, focuses on the strategic importance of equipping young people with skills for employment, decent work, and entrepreneurship.
- The main goal of this day is to equip young people around the world with essential skills for employment, work, and entrepreneurship. This day is meant to commemorate, acknowledge and celebrate the importance of equipping young people with skills for employment and entrepreneurship. World Youth Skills Day 2021 will again take place in a challenging context due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
Other Important Affairs
- World Health Organisation (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has warned the world about the ‘early stages’ of COVID-19 third wave amid Delta Variant surge. Unfortunately the world is now in the early stages of a third wave, he said.
- Consumers in Gurugram will no longer have to stand in long queues, nor worry about the shopkeeper giving less ration, as India’s first ‘Grain ATM’ has been set up in the district as a pilot project.
- Deepak Kabra has become the first Indian to be selected for judging the gymnastics competition of the Olympic Games, a life goal achieved for the man who knew he wouldn’t have made it there as an active gymnast because of his not-so-strong fundamentals.
- Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Tribal Affairs Minister Arjun Munda will jointly launch the School Innovation Ambassador Training Program tomorrow. It aims to train 50 thousand school teachers on Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Design Thinking, Product development and Idea generation.