Current Affairs- 13th & 14th September
Science and Technology
IIT-Bombay launches ‘Project Udaan’
- With an aim to break the language barrier that many students face when they join institutes of higher education, IIT-Bombay today launched ‘Project Udaan’, that enables translation of textbooks and other study material related to engineering and other streams.
- The virtual inauguration, which coincided with Hindi Diwas, was attended by Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, Dr. Krishnaswamy Vijay Raghavan as the chief guest.
- According to a press release, translation of text books in other educational domains will be taken up in due course.
North Korea tests new long-range cruise missile capable to hit Japan
- North Korea has tested a new long-range cruise missile capable of hitting much of Japan, state media said today.
- The weekend tests saw missiles travelling up to 1,500 kms, the official KCNA news agency said.
- It suggests North Korea is still capable of developing weapons despite food shortages and an economic crisis.
- The US military said, the latest tests posed threats to the international community and neighbouring Japan.
VP, PM and Lok Sabha Speaker to jointly launch Sansad TV tomorrow
- Vice President and Rajya Sabha Chairman M. Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will jointly launch Sansad TV at the Main Committee Room, Parliament House Annexe tomorrow at 6 PM. The launch date coincides with the International Day of Democracy.
- Sansad TV programming will primarily be in four categories – functioning of Parliament and democratic institutions, governance and implementation of schemes, policies, history, and culture of India and issues, interests, concerns of contemporary nature.
Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers welfare signs five MoUs with private companies
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers welfare today signed five MOUs with private companies for taking forward Digital Agriculture.
- Speaking on the occasion, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said, the modernisation of the Agriculture sector will continue by infusing new technologies so that farmers can increase their income.
- He said, the MOUs aimed at increasing farmers income and protecting their produce.
UN to raise more than 600 million dollars in aid for Afghanistan
- The United Nations is seeking to raise more than 600 million dollars in aid for Afghanistan, warning the country is facing a major humanitarian crisis.
- It is calling for international support at a conference in Geneva, following the Taliban’s takeover last month.
- In his opening remarks, UN Secretary General Mr Antonio Guterres called the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan a looming catastrophe and said the people of Afghanistan are in desperate need of a lifeline.
- Mr. Guterres warned, today one in three Afghans do not know where their next meal will come from, the poverty rate is spiralling and basic public services are close to collapse.
Rising sea level to submerge 17 percent of Bangladesh by 2050
- Close to 17 percent of Bangladesh could be submerged by the rising sea level by 2050. In her address to the 48th session of the Human Rights Council on Monday, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet quoted a report of the World Economic Forum (WEF) that in Bangladesh 20 million people will be deprived of their homes by 2050 due to the rising sea level. Worldwide at least 1.2 billion people could be displaced due to rising sea levels by 2050.
- According to the WEF Bangladesh had the third largest number of over 4 million people displaced from their homes due to disasters in 2019.
India, Singapore announce linking of UPI and PayNow fast payment systems
- The RBI and the Monetary Authority of Singapore have announced a project to link their respective fast payment systems, Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and PayNow. The linkage is targeted for operationalisation by July 2022.
- According to an RBI press statement, the UPI-PayNow linkage will enable users of each of the two fast payment systems to make instant, low-cost fund transfers on a reciprocal basis without a need to get onboarded onto the other payment system.
- It said, the UPI-PayNow linkage is a significant milestone in the development of infrastructure for cross-border payments between India and Singapore.
Prime Minister to visit US to attend Quad Leaders’ Summit in Washington DC
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in the Leaders’ Summit of the Quadrilateral Framework in Washington DC on 24th of September along with Prime Minister of Australia Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Japan Yoshihide Suga and US President Joseph R. Biden. The Leaders will review progress made since their first virtual Summit on 12th March this year and discuss regional issues of shared interest.
- As part of their ongoing efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, the leaders will review the Quad Vaccine initiative which was announced in March this year.
Daniil Medvedev stuns Novak Djokovic to win Maiden Grand Slam title
- Daniil Medvedev of Russia lifted his first Grand Slam trophy after beating Novak Djokovic 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 in the US Open men’s singles final at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York last night.
- The second seed Medvedev shattered Djokovic’s dream for a calendar slam and a 21st major by dominating from start to finish. While Djokovic failed to become the third man after Don Budge and Rod Laver to sweep all four majors in the same year, Medvedev capped off a stellar US Open outing with a memorable win.
Days and Dates
Hindi Diwas: 14th Septemebr
- Hindi Diwas is being celebrated across the country today. It was on this day in 1949 that the Constituent Assembly adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the official language of the country. Today, Hindi is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and the first language of more than 520 million people.
- Union Government has taken several steps to promote the Rajbhasha and at the international forums, Hindi is being well received. The pioneer was the former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee whose address to the UN General Assembly is still recalled by one and all.
Other Important Affairs
- The Bangladesh High Court ordered the authorities to shut down all unregistered online news portals in the country within a week. A HC division bench passed the order on the plea filed by two advocates from Bangladesh.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation and Directorate General of Civil Aviation have granted conditional exemption from Drone Rules, 2021 to Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. IIT-B has received drone use permission for research, development and testing of drones in its own premises.
- Qatar said that it would not take responsibility of Kabul airport without ‘clear’ agreements with all involved, including the Taliban, about its operations.
- Top nuclear envoys from Japan, the United States and South Korea have held talks in Tokyo today to discuss North Korea’s missile and nuclear programmes. The development took place a day after Pyongyang said it tested a new long-range cruise missile.
- Nagaland government has decided to stop all collection of any kind of tax or fees on items or goods that comes under GST regime by all the Municipals and Town Councils across the State immediately.