Current Affairs- 11th August
Science and Technology
ISRO to launch Earth Observation Satellite EOS-03 in Sriharikota tomorrow
- The ISRO launcher GSLV F10 will launch Earth Observation Satellite EOS-03 from the second launch pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre, SHAR in Sriharikota at 0543 hours tomorrow. EOS-03 is a state of the art Earth Observation Satellite that will be placed in a Geosynchronous Orbit.
- A four metre diameter Ogive shaped payload fairing is being flown for the first time in this mission. The payload will provide real time data of natural disasters by constantly monitoring water bodies, crops, vegetation conditions and forest cover changes.
- EOS-03 is capable of imaging the country four to five times every day. This is the fourteenth flight of the 52 meter tall GSLV launch vehicle. The satellite will reach the final orbit using its onboard propulsion system.
South Africa grant patent to an AI system known as DABUS
- At first glance, a recently granted South African patent relating to a “food container based on fractal geometry” seems fairly mundane. The innovation in question involves interlocking food containers that are easy for robots to grasp and stack.
- On closer inspection, the patent is anything but mundane. That’s because the inventor is not a human being – it is an artificial intelligence (AI) system called DABUS.
- DABUS (which stands for “device for the autonomous bootstrapping of unified sentience”) is an AI system created by Stephen Thaler, a pioneer in the field of AI and programming. The system simulates human brainstorming and creates new inventions. DABUS is a particular type of AI, often referred to as “creativity machines” because they are capable of independent and complex functioning. This differs from everyday AI like Siri, the “voice” of Apple’s iPhones.
PM Modi to participate in Atmanirbhar Narishakti se Samvad’ tomorrow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in the ‘Atmanirbhar Narishakti se Samvad’ tomorrow at 12:30 p.m. through video conferencing. Mr. Modi will interact with women Self Help Group,SHG members or community resource persons promoted under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission, DAY-NRLM.
- During the event, a compendium of success stories of women SHG members from all across the country, along with a handbook on universalization of farm livelihoods will also be released by the Prime Minister.
- Prime Minister will also release capitalization support funds to the tune of 1625 Crore rupees to over 4 lakh SHGs.
Parliament passes Constitution (127th Amendment) Bill
- Parliament has unanimously passed the Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Seventh Amendment) Bill, 2021 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today. The Rajya Sabha has passed the bill with the majority of the strength of the House and not less than the two-third majority of members present in the House during voting.
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Dr Virendra Kumar said it will empower the state in preparing their own OBC lists so that various communities can be given social and economic justice. He said, the legislation will also help strengthen the federal structure of the country. Dr Kumar reiterated government’s commitment for the welfare of OBC community citing recent decision of allowing 27 percent OBC quota in NEET.
Anurag Thakur to confer National Youth Awards 2017-18 & 2018-19 tomorrow
- Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur will confer the National Youth Awards 2017-18 and 2018-19 in New Delhi tomorrow. Commemorating the International Youth Day 2021, ten young winning entrepreneur teams of the agri-enterprise challenge S.O.L.V.E.D 2021 will be felicitated by Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Nisith Pramanik.
- Total 22 National Youth awards will be given in individual and organisations categories. Total 14 awards will be given for National Youth Awards 2017-18, which includes 10 awards in individual category and 4 awards in Organization category. Total 8 awards will be given for National Youth Awards 2018-19 which includes 7 awards in individual category and 1 award in Organization category.
Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh inaugurates two day long 7th IBSA Academic Forum
- Minister of State for External Affairs Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh today inaugurated the two day long 7th IBSA Academic Forum which is being held virtually from today.
- The two-day event is being hosted by the Research and Information System for Developing Countries, RIS an autonomous think-tank of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. It features a conversation with IBSA Sherpas on economic partnerships that will, among other things, help economic integration and cooperation in creating resilient value chains post-Pandemic, accelerate the digital and green transition processes.
India ranks 122nd on new Global Youth Development Index
- India is ranked 122nd on a new Global Youth Development Index measuring the condition of young people across 181 countries, released by the Commonwealth Secretariat in London.
- The triennial rankings of youth development found India among the top five risers on the index between 2010 and 2018, alongside Afghanistan and Russia, advancing their score on average by 15.74 per cent across areas such as education and employment.
- Singapore ranked topmost followed by Slovenia, Norway, Malta and Denmark. Chad, the Central African Republic, South Sudan, Afghanistan and Niger came last respectively.
India, Saudi Arabia set to carry out first-ever naval exercise
- India and Saudi Arabia are all set to conduct their first-ever naval exercise, in reflection of their growing defence and military cooperation, officials said.
- Indian Navy’s guided-missile destroyer INS Kochi reached Saudi Arabia on Monday for the “Al-Mohed Al-Hindi 2021” exercise.
- The warship went to Saudi Arabia after carrying out a naval exercise with the UAE Navy off the coast of Abu Dhabi on Saturday, they said.
- The harbour phase of the “Al-Mohed Al-Hindi 2021” exercise began on Monday while the sea-based drills are taking place from Wednesday.
Indian archers break two world records at World Archery Youth Championship
- Indian compound archery girls and the mixed team broke two junior world records during the qualification stages of the ongoing World Archery Youth Championship in Wroclaw, Poland yesterday.
- The trio of Priya Gurjar, Parneet Kaur, Ridhu Varshini Senthilkumar combined to shoot 2,067 out of possible 2,160 in the Cadet Compound girls team category to clinch the top spot of the qualification round. The previous record was held by the USA at 2,045.
- Also, In the Compound Cadet mixed team event, Priya Gurjar and Kushal Dalal took the top spot by shooting a world record score of 1,401.
WFI temporarily suspends wrestler Vinesh Phogat
- The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) on Tuesday “temporarily suspended” star grappler Vinesh Phogat for indiscipline during her forgettable Tokyo Olympics campaign and also issued notice to young Sonam Malik for misconduct.
- It has been learnt that Vinesh, who crashed out of the Tokyo Games in the quarterfinals after a crushing defeat by ‘fall’, has been given time till August 16 to reply to the notice that mentioned indiscipline on three counts.
- Vinesh, who had travelled to Tokyo from Hungary where he had trained with coach Woller Akos, had refused to stay at the Games Village and train with the other Indian team members.
Other Important Affairs
- The 15th India-Singapore Foreign Office Consultations were held virtually today. The Indian delegation was led by Secretary (East) in Ministry of External Affairs Riva Ganguly Das and the Singapore delegation was led by Permanent Secretary in Ministry of Foreign Affairs Chee Wee Kiong.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has started a public awareness campaign to warn people against digital banking frauds. For the new campaign, RBI has roped in Olympic Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra.
- Parliament has passed the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Amendment Bill, 2021 with the Rajya Sabha approving it today amid din. The Lok Sabah has already passed the bill. The Bill seeks to amend the General Insurance Business ( Nationalisation) Act, 1972. It provides a greater private sector participation in the public sector insurance companies.
- India will host the first Internet Governance Forum in the country, starting from October 20, this year. The theme of this year’s meeting is Inclusive Internet for Digital India. With this announcement, the Indian chapter of the United Nations-based forum namely the Internet Governance Forum has begun.