Current Affairs- 10th September
Science and Technology
Hyderabad gets India’s first indigenous coal gasification based plant
- India’s first indigenously Designed High Ash Coal Gasification Based Methanol Production Plant at Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) Research and Development Centre, Hyderabad was inaugurated. The project was funded by the Department of Science and Technology, which provided a Rs 10 crore grant, at the initiative of NITI Aayog, PMO-India and the Ministry of Coal.
- Methanol is utilized as a motor fuel, to power ship engines, and to generate clean power all over the world. Methanol is also used to generate di-methyl ether (DME), a liquid fuel that is very similar to diesel — existing diesel engines simply need to be minimally changed to use DME instead of diesel.
National Mission for Clean Ganga organises Himalayan Diwas
- National Mission for Clean Ganga organised Himalayan Diwas in New Delhi in association with Naula Foundation yesterday. This year’s theme is Contribution of Himalayas and our responsibilities. The event was part of the ongoing celebration of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav. Himalaya Diwas is celebrated every year on 9th September in Uttarakhand. It is celebrated with the aim to conserve Himalayan ecosystem and region.
- Explaining the significance of Himalayas, Director General National Mission for Clean Ganga Rajiv Ranjan Mishra raised concerns over unplanned urbanization in the Himalayas.
President Ram Nath Kovind appoints new Governors in four states
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed new Governors in Tamil Nadu and Uttarakhand. Nagaland Governor RN Ravi has been appointed as Governor of Tamil Nadu. Lieutenant General (Retd) Gurmit Singh has been appointed Governor of Uttarakhand.
- Governor of Tamil Nadu Banwarilal Purohit who was holding additional charge of the Governor of Punjab has been appointed as regular Governor of Punjab. The President’s Secretariat said, Governor of Assam Prof. Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed to discharge the functions of the Governor of Nagaland in addition to his own duties, until regular arrangements are made.
Rajnath Singh inducts Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile defence system into IAF
- In a major boost to the country’s military infrastructure, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh officially inducted the Medium-Range Surface-to-Air Missile Air Defence System into the Air Force in Rajasthan. The MR-SAM defence system was inducted into the 2204 Squadron of the Indian Air Force in Jaisalmer yesterday. Speaking on the occasion, Defence Minister said, MR-SAM System is another step towards self-reliance in indigenous defence technologies.
- The deal between the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to develop the system was signed a decade ago.
We recognise and appreciate India’s contributions during its chairmanship of BRICS: China
- China has expressed gratitude to India for successfully hosting 13th BRICS Summit and BRICS Cooperation in the last one year under India’s chairship which has seen several new initiatives. In response to a media query at a press briefing in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said that China fully recognizes the contribution of BRICS under India’s chairship in the last one year and expresses gratitude to India.
- China will take over the BRICS chairship and host the 14th BRICS summit next year, Xi said, adding that Beijing looks forward to working with the BRICS partners to deepen cooperation in all areas and build a closer and more results-oriented partnership to meet common challenges and create a better future.
Australian ministers arrive in India for '2+2' ministerial dialogue
- Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne and Defence Minister Peter Dutton have arrived in New Delhi today to take part in India-Australia 22 Ministerial Dialogue. India will host the inaugural India-Australia 22 Ministerial Dialogue tomorrow. From the Indian side, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar will lead the delegation which will comprise of officials from the Ministries of Defence and External Affairs.
- The agenda for the Dialogue will cover a range of bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
Cuba first in the world to give jabs to 2-yr-olds
- Cuba became the first country in the world to vaccinate children from the age of two against Covid-19, using home-grown jabs that are yet to be recognized by the World Health Organization.
- The island of 11.2 million people aims to inoculate all its children before reopening schools that have been closed for the most part since March 2020.
- The new school year started on Monday, but from home via TV programmes, as most Cuban homes do not have internet access. Having completed clinical trials on minors with its Abdala and Soberana vaccines, Cuba kicked off its inoculation campaign for children on Friday, starting with those 12 and older.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to felicitate Tokyo Paralympics winners
- Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, Dr. Virendra Kumar will felicitate Tokyo Paralympics medal winners and other members of the Indian Paralympics Contingent today.
- A cash award of ten lakh rupees will be given to Gold Medalists, eight lakh to Silver and five to Bronze medal winners. The coaches of the Paralympians will also be felicitated.
- India had sent a highest ever contingent of 54 Divyang sports persons across nine disciplines in the recently concluded Tokyo Paralympics. The Indian Paralympians created history by winning 19 medals.
Awards and Honours
ICRISAT awarded 2021 Africa Food Prize
- Hyderabad-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) has been awarded the Africa Food Prize 2021 for improving food security in sub-Saharan Africa, a statement from the institute said.
- The award was given away at the Africa Forum for Green Revolution (AGRF) 2021 Summit that is underway in Nairobi, Kenya. ICRISAT got the award for the Tropical Legumes Project that has improved food security across 13 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Between 2007 and 2019, ICRISAT, which has its headquarters at Patancheru on the outskirts of Hyderabad, led a collaboration of partners to deliver the Tropical Legumes Project.
Days and Dates
World Suicide Prevention Day: 10th Sept
- World Suicide Prevention Day is observed on September 10th every year to highlight various ways by which suicide can be prevented.
- Suicide is an act of intentionally taking one’s life and it is a major public health issue, especially during the testing times of pandemic and periods of lockdowns. Every 40 seconds someone in the world take their life, with 75% cases from the low and middle-income countries. Approximately 1.3% of deaths in 2019 were due to suicide.
- Suicide is a global phenomenon and according to the World Health Organization, it was the 17th leading cause of death in 2019.
Other Important Affairs
- The fourth Conference of the Protectors of Emigrants was held today, coinciding with the date of enactment of the Emigration Act, 1983. Minister of State for External Affairs, V. Muraleedharan delivered the keynote address and observed that the nation has worked together to deal with the challenges of the pandemic.
- Centre will develop a search engine for online search of Hindi version of the Judgements of Supreme Court and High Courts. This was stated by Union Law Secretary, Anoop Kumar Mendiratta.
- Sardar Iqbal Singh Lalpura took charge as the Chairman, National Commission for Minorities in the presence of Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi in New Delhi today.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India have signed a USD 112 million loan to develop water supply infrastructure and strengthen capacities of urban local bodies (ULBs) for improved service delivery in four towns in the state of Jharkhand. This is the first project of ADB in the state of Jharkhand.