Current Affairs- 10th June
Science and Technology
Monoclonal antibody cocktail treatment for Covid
- In what could prove to be a game-changer in COVID-19 treatment in the country, a monoclonal antibody cocktail was successfully used in two patients with fast progression of symptoms within the first seven days in Delhi’s Sir Ganga Ram Hospital. The treatment worked miraculously and the vital parameters of the patient showed improvement within 12 hours.
- It can avoid hospitalization in high-risk group and progression to severe disease. It can help to escape or to reduce the usage of steroids and immunomodulation which would further reduce the risk of fatal infections like Mucormycosis, secondary bacterial and viral infections like CMV
Detecting tropical cyclones in north Indian Ocean earlier than satellites
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, have developed a technique that could be useful in the early detection of development or strengthening of tropical cyclones in the atmospheric column prior to satellites over ocean surface in the North Indian Ocean region.
- Researchers have devised a novel method using Eddy detection technique to investigate the formative stages and advance detection time of tropical cyclogenesis in the region.
Quic gives the internet's data transmission foundation a needed speedup
- A new data transmission protocol could replace Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), the most commonly used method to send and receive Internet traffic
- Fastly, an internet infrastructure company, says the new internet protocol QUIC improves speed and security of data transfer, and has a faster recovery mechanism
- “The internet transport ecosystem has been ossified for decades now, and QUIC breaks out of this ossification,” said Jana Iyengar, one of the designers of QUIC and an engineer from internet infrastructure company, Fastly. “QUIC is poised to lead the charge on the next generation of internet innovations.”
Assam government to confer awards on lines of Bharat Ratna, Padma awards
- The Assam government has instituted a series of annual awards similar to the Bharat Ratna and Padma awards entailing a slew of benefits for the awardees.
- While the Asom Ratna would be presented to one person who has made a significant contribution to society, the Asom Bibhushan would be presented to three, the Asom Bhushan to two and the Asom Shree to 10 persons every year.
- The awards will carry ₹5 lakh, ₹3 lakh, ₹2 lakh and ₹1 lakh respectively with benefits such as free treatment for critical illness, free stay at Assam Bhawans across the country and free travel in State Transport Corporation buses.
RBI gives approval to re-appointment of CS Ghosh as MD & CEO of Bandhan Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), granted approval for re-appointment of Chandra Shekhar Ghosh as the managing director and chief executive officer for a period of 3 years, with effect from 10 July 2021.
- The re-appointment as above is subject to the approval of shareholders at the ensuing annual general meeting of the bank.
- Bandhan Bank operates as a commercial bank. The bank has its presence in 34 states and union territories in India with 5,310 banking outlets serving 2.30 crore customers, as on 31 March 2021.
India, Australia to expand cyber security cooperation
- The first meeting of the Joint Working Group on Cyber Security Cooperation between India and Australia was held virtually today. Paulomi Tripathi, Director (Oceania), in the Ministry of External Affairs led the Indian delegation of experts to discuss the cyber security cooperation between the two countries.
- The Joint Working Group on Cyber Security Cooperation is a mechanism established under the Framework Arrangement on the Cyber and Cyber-enabled Critical Technology Cooperation between India and Australia to implement the 2020-25 Plan of Action under the Framework. It brings together policy makers and working level experts in the area to strengthen bilateral cooperation.
Jeff Bezos and brother to fly to space in Blue Origin flight
- Jeff Bezos will be flying to space on the first crewed flight of the New Shepard, the rocket ship made by his space company, Blue Origin. The flight is scheduled for July 20th, just 15 days after he is set to resign as CEO of Amazon.
- Blue Origin said Bezos’ younger brother, Mark Bezos, will also join the flight.
- Bezos — the world’s richest person with a net worth of $187 billion — will be the first of the billionaire space tycoons to experience a ride aboard the rocket technology that he’s poured millions into developing.
Biden revokes Trump-era TikTok and WeChat ban orders
- President Joe Biden has revoked an executive order from his predecessor Donald Trump banning Chinese apps TikTok and WeChat in the US.
- The ban faced a series of legal challenges and never came into force.
- Instead, the US Department of Commerce will now review apps designed and developed by those in the jurisdiction of a foreign adversary, such as China.
- President Biden said it should use an evidence-based approach to see if they pose a risk to US national security.
BharatPe becomes ICC’s official partner until 2023
- BharatPe, a lending and digital payments company, revealed that it has signed a three-year agreement to join the International Cricket Council (ICC) as an official partner.
- According to the deal, BharatPe will publicize the association on television and digital media and carry out in-venue branding events at all ICC tournaments till 2023.
- The forthcoming ICC World Test Championship (Southampton, UK 2021), Men’s T20 World Cup (India, 2021), Men’s T20 World Cup (Australia, 2022), Women’s World Cup (New Zealand, 2022), U19 Cricket World Cup (West Indies, 2022), Women’s T20 World Cup (South Africa, 2022), Men’s Cricket World Cup (India, 2023) and World Test Championship (2023) are among the important ICC tournaments.
Zimbabwean writer Tsitsi Dangarembga wins PEN Pinter prize 2021
- Tsitsi Dangarembga, the Booker-shortlisted Zimbabwean writer, has won the PEN Pinter Prize in 2021. The annual award is given to an author who, the website specifies, must have “a significant body of plays, poetry, essays, or fiction of outstanding literary merit, written in English.”
- “Through her trilogy of novel she has charted the development of Zimbabwe from a British colony to an autocratic and troubled free state. In doing so, she has held a magnifying glass up to the struggles of ordinary people, in so many parts of the world, to lead good lives in the increasingly corrupt and fractured new world order.
Ngangom Dingko Singh, Asian Games Gold Medallist Boxer Dies
- Former Asian Games gold medalist boxer Ngangom Dingko Singh passed away early Thursday morning at his Sekta Mayai Leikai residence, in Imphal East district, after battling a prolonged illness. He was 47.
- Dingko had a long battle with liver cancer for which he received treatment in 2017. He also tested positive for Covid-19 last year but had recovered.
- As soon as the news of Dingko’s demise broke, condolence messages poured in from all corners including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who called the late boxer a “sporting superstar”.
Other Important Affairs
- First Solar Eclipse of 2021 on 10th June.
- Poet Buddhadeb Dasgupta passed away.
- MK Jain re-appointed as RBI Deputy Governor.
- Punjab becomes first state to use NFC based eIDs.
- Auckland has became the world’s most liveable city.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has extended the term of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) Chairman MR Kumar till 2022.